Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am coming to this conclusion as I notice people who are quick to say "oh that is rubbish" are just flexing their own egos as if they know "the answer" when the answer is never so black and white.

I think people are attracted to confidence more than the truth of the matter. A confident speaker stands up, makes fun of the previous speaker, distorts what they said and makes their own case sound irrefutable. Listeners are easily influenced by slick talkers. Or "duped" may be a better word.

Many people prefer simple solutions. They don't like complex, messy, grey areas. It gives them a headache. They want to label and categorise something quickly so they can move on to the next issue. And they'll do the same with that. In our fast paced age, there is little time for depth either. Keep it simple stupid! KISS! :)

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You want a hug Riderless?
Did I really come across so needy?
No I feel much better now. Now that I realise I've been dealing with work colleagues who are just not on my level. I'm royalty, after all!:)

·
permanently barnacled
4,801 Posts
Did I really come across so needy?
No I feel much better now. Now that I realise I've been dealing with work colleagues who are just not on my level. I'm royalty, after all!:)
Damn straight!

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I think dismissiveness more indicates a stubbornness and an unwillingness to consider things outside your opinion or comfort zone, rather than a lack of intelligence.

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think dismissiveness more indicates a stubbornness and an unwillingness to consider things outside your opinion or comfort zone, rather than a lack of intelligence.
if you can only consider one perspective as correct, it's like narrow-mindedness.
If you can consider more perspectives, then surely that it is a kind of broad-minded intelligence.
I've met too many people who think their perspective is the one and only way. That's limited, small-minded thinking.........in my opinion... :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
there are different types of intelligences, so i wouldn't say that this is indicative of someone being say, bad at math, or them not being a skilled musician

i agree with you, though

it's very limiting

most things in life are too complicated to quickly draw up, assess, and assign

it gives me the impression that these sorts of people don't want to admit that they're unsure, and that the illusion of certainty is kind of silly

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Know it alls don't know anything at all. From my experience, when I see a person having an opinion and debating you on everything, the truth is they have a very limited general knowledge and that is their way to hide it.

"I am wiser than this man; it is likely that neither of us knows anything worthwhile, but he thinks he knows something when he does not, whereas when I do not know, neither do I think I know; so I am likely to be wiser than he to this small extent, that I do not think I know what I do not know."

·
Registered
8,575 Posts
Socrates is quoted as saying "I know that I am intelligent because I know that I know nothing"

So yeah, humility + curiosity....

On the other hand, Oscar Wilde said "Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit" - to which I say: "fair cop"

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Know it alls don't know anything at all. From my experience, when I see a person having an opinion and debating you on everything, the truth is they have a very limited general knowledge and that is their way to hide it.

"I am wiser than this man; it is likely that neither of us knows anything worthwhile, but he thinks he knows something when he does not, whereas when I do not know, neither do I think I know; so I am likely to be wiser than he to this small extent, that I do not think I know what I do not know."
Like that quote.

I think you'll notice that leaders of cults and fundamentalist religions often have a dismissive quality to their communication.
I can imagine how dismissive the North Korean leader is of western society
and culture, for example.

·
Banned
8,418 Posts
Getting rid of staff

by not understanding what I can do for them

·
Irreversibly Invisible
4,095 Posts
I hate narrow-mindedness, too. My older brother never listened to me growing up. He was always right and I was always wrong. He never considered my viewpoint at all.

I have other siblings. I can debate with them and I've been convinced by their arguments on occasion. But it really irritates me when the other person won't even listen to you at all because they're so adamant in their belief that they're right.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I'm not sure about intellegence but it's certainly lack of critical thinking. Many people would rather not think flexibly because they don't want to appear flawed, they dont want others to see them as able to make mistakes and appear silly enough believe in something that's incorrect so usually when such a persons beliefs are challenged they'll only listen to you to counter your point rather than take it into account, even if it makes complete sense. Such people can't be reasoned with once they feel challenged.

·
uggla
10,065 Posts
I agree, in a way. I think that people, who regularly dismiss other people's arguments(right away), often do so because they are unable to get into a deeper debate about the topic, themselves(because they lack the actual knowledge or skill to do so - but they're still pretending to have it!). It's also a sign laziness and a rigid mind, I think.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
if you can only consider one perspective as correct, it's like narrow-mindedness.
If you can consider more perspectives, then surely that it is a kind of broad-minded intelligence.
I've met too many people who think their perspective is the one and only way. That's limited, small-minded thinking.........in my opinion... :)
It is narrow-mindedness, but I don't think that automatically goes hand in hand with a lack of intelligence. You can intellectually understand the thought process behind another person's views but still not consider them valid or worthy of being taken seriously.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts