Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day my boss pulled me into the conference room and had a "talk" with me. He told me it seemed I didn't want to be there and that he didn't want someone just there to get a pay check. Afterward he started to put a lot of pressure on me for any mistakes or delays I would make.

Later that day I requested to speak in private and just told him flat out that I suffer from an anxiety disorder and depression and my attitude was the result. I also told him that I am starting medication and that the side effect would hinder my performance until they subside. He was actually very understanding and appreciated me telling him this. It totally changed his perspective on my behavior and he has been much more forgiving. He even inquired whether I needed any special accomidations for my 'disability'. I didn't want to be treated any different than anyone else, I just asked for his understanding.

Since then I have been much more comfortable at work and around my boss and we are much more friendly to each other. Before I was worried my anxiety would be seen as a liability so I tried to hide it. I was glad to get it off my chest.

·
Registered
366 Posts
You have a good boss and I appreciate your courage to tell him. It was a risk.
As to use the word "Mental Illness" , when it gets dwn to it, What the hell does Mental Illness mean? It's a myth. Ther's a book that I studied in college that goes into details about why the term "Mental Illness" is a myth.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Crazijimmy said:
Later that day I requested to speak in private and just told him flat out that I suffer from an anxiety disorder and depression and my attitude was the result. I also told him that I am starting medication and that the side effect would hinder my performance until they subside. He was actually very understanding and appreciated me telling him this. It totally changed his perspective on my behavior and he has been much more forgiving. He even inquired whether I needed any special accomidations for my 'disability'. I didn't want to be treated any different than anyone else, I just asked for his understanding.

Since then I have been much more comfortable at work and around my boss and we are much more friendly to each other. Before I was worried my anxiety would be seen as a liability so I tried to hide it. I was glad to get it off my chest.
I'm so happy it's working for you. Thank God for understanding bosses.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
darkangel said:
I've been wanting to tell my boss about my SA, because it's a big issue at my work about me being so quiet all the time. But I still work really hard everyday, and it doesn't really affect that, so I guess there's no reason to.
It's always a big decision whether to tell someone else about our anxiety issues. Is it your boss and the actual people you work for that have a problem or just other people? If your boss doesn't see a problem, I would remain quiet. Just my opinion. With my last job, I mentioned to my supervisor that I'm just a quiet person. She said as long as it wasn't effecting my work, she was fine with it.

I applaud you and keep up the good work. :banana

·
"Semi-retired" SAS Member
1,006 Posts
I have a feeling that's how it's going to happen with me at my work, if it ever does come down to that. Glad you were able to get that over with, and that you had an understanding boss, Crazijimmy. Best of luck!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Crazijimmy said:
The other day my boss pulled me into the conference room and had a "talk" with me. He told me it seemed I didn't want to be there and that he didn't want someone just there to get a pay check. Afterward he started to put a lot of pressure on me for any mistakes or delays I would make.

Sounds like your boss is real cool

1 - 10 of 10 Posts