Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Discount therapy?

872 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  piggie 
#1 ·
Anyone know of discount therapy types? My insurance doesn’t cover therapy and I’m in that awful middle class spot where I’m not rich but I’m also not poor enough to get hand outs for all things I can’t afford, like therapy.

I really want in person therapy though. If it’s teletherapy then it won’t help me.

#2 ·
If you live near a university, you can look into getting treated by students completing their graduate training or internships. Usually they'll leave after a year, but it's something.

Even better, if you live near a med school, you can meet with residents in psychiatry. Most med schools will take people for free so long as you don't have Medicaid/Medicare (in the USA) and residents will train for a bit longer too. They are doctors through and through and can even prescribe medication. They just need their training hours to get board-certified.

Is 25$/session, one session per week affordable to you? Look at your state's mental health community action resources. Typically they are called community action centers (community mental health). They can either point you to sliding scale or discount clinicians, or give you treatment there for free or reduced cost. The only issue is that community clinics tend to be swamped with very severe cases. Think homelessness, severe psychosis -- the kind of things that get people on permanent disability. Sessions can be infrequent, the clinicians themselves may be horrible at what they do, or they are simply not interested/experienced in treating social anxiety disorder. Do your best to be your own advocate, ask your clinician what kind of treatment they have in mind, their experience in treating anxiety, outcomes, and other questions. If you decide it's not a good fit, ask for recommendations and they might be able to point you elsewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.