Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Permanently ******
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been diagnosed with SA since I was a teenager, but recently I've also been diagnosed with depression, hypochondria, and general anxiety. The depression caused me to be unable to work so I quit my job. Recently my 'case worker' recommended that I try a disability employment center. I was very skeptical as I've never considered myself as having a disability, but anyone with depression and/or anxiety does qualify as disabled.

So I go to this place not expecting much, but once I talked to the guy, he said that half of his clients are people who struggle with issues such as mine. He made another appointment and is probably going to hook me up with a decent job that I'd have little to no hope of finding on my own. Having a bit of education definitely helped me, but even in the absence of that, they offer a lot of connections for funding to go back to school and general employment opportunities.

I highly recommend that anyone who struggles with anxiety or depression to look into their local disability employment center because they'll probably be able to help you.

·
Permanently ******
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was referred by a social worker who also has been temporarily counseling me. It does rely heavily on government funding so perhaps they are fewer in the USA.

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
In the U.S. it's called, "DVR" The division of vocational rehabilitation. I've worked with them and I came to the conclusion, they don't exist so much to provide people with disibilities work, as people with disibilities exist to provide them with work.
I thought some of them were nice, some of them not so much. Some of them tended to have a bias against their clients. A bias a typical person of the street has, something like, "people with disibilities are lazy. That's why they're unemployed," not very professional.
I have to admit though they helped me get a job. Unfortunately, it was 100 miles from my house and it was minimum wage and surprise, surprise, I got fired because I couldn't do some of the heavy work.

That's my experience with DVR in the U.S. anyways.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts