Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Null
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
However, everything I have done thus far has prepared me for this route. I have had an excellent internship and have received a full time offer for after graduation (I have one more year). The hours are good, but the whole idea of being in the corporate world, becoming a manager, and eventually partner does not appeal to me.

I feel like it is crushing my spirit and will affect the way I will perform. I realize I always wanted something entrepreneurial, or just to do my own business and maybe expand it along the way. I also like creating new things, or expressing myself(I even admire music and arts majors for this reason). I also like a sense of independence and a strong sense of self identity, kind of what a freelance writer, animator, designer, etc does. I do not like the idea of working on big complex things within the context of a large organization, as I would much focus on developing my own individual skillset and developing a specific product within a much narrower context (and have more control ).

However, for safety reasons or not, I found I have been "successful" but don't like where I am heading. I was originally planning to become an actuary and have already passed a few exams. I want to do something different, but I feel like I am throwing everything I worked for away. I feel like I am in a very tough position right now. Has anybody been through this phase? Planning for my life after graduation has been on my mind for several years now, and I feel like I am being pushed into graduation without a sense of eagerness. I should also mention that I will be completing a masters degree as well as part of a special program upon graduation.

I don't know what to do anymore. I know this sounds dark and depressing, but I had to let it out.

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
Maybe you can do a few years in the rat race and pick up some experience and then maybe branch out on your own or get a work from home telecommuting type of gig that generally gives you more independence in the work you do.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts