Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if dihydrocodeine has any effect on anxiety, because they sell it in pharmacies here in the UK.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
DHC, like most opioids, is extremely powerful in relieving anxiety and making you feel good. Unfortunately, tolerance and dependency will develop unless you have a plan to prevent it, and also they sell DHC with paracetamol here in the UK (bad for the liver, obviously). If only there was a way to extract the DHC from the pills...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only need it for 1 or 2 days a week, wouldn't want to take it more than that, it costs about £4 for 32 paramol tablets (240mg DHC) which makes it seem like good value assuming I can extract it successfully. Is doing this even illegal?

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
Let me know if you're successful extracting the stuff - I looked into it but couldn't see a way of doing it. It probably is a tiny bit illegal, but I bet your unlikely to get in trouble as long as you're not selling it! Oh, and there a reason why opiates like codeine are strictly controlled - they're highly addictive. Take care!

·
Registered
609 Posts
opiates are literally a godsend for people with anxiety/depression..i found that out 9-10 years ago, i started skinpopping nubain and it made me feel very good, anxiety was decreased and depression was long gone....fast forward years later and i was broke after a bad dope habit...nowadays, my depression/anxiety is worse so...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let me know if you're successful extracting the stuff - I looked into it but couldn't see a way of doing it. It probably is a tiny bit illegal, but I bet your unlikely to get in trouble as long as you're not selling it! Oh, and there a reason why opiates like codeine are strictly controlled - they're highly addictive. Take care!
Cold water extraction is the method used to do it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Constipation seems to be a common side effect of opiates, is there anyway to counter that, perhaps with metoclopramide? I have a whole stack of the stuff.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Don't take metoclopramide, it blocks dopamine receptors in the brain which are involved in the euphoria from opioids. Buy some domperidone; it's OTC here and will only block dopamine receptors outside the brain (hence, no effect on mood, but still on nausea).

Another idea is to just take loads of magnesium supplements. Will relieve constipation, with the added bonus of blocking opioid tolerance.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Thanks. How does magnesium reduce tolerance developing?
http://www.anesthesia-analgesia.org/cgi/content/abstract/86/4/830
http://www.opioids.com/nmda/plasticity.html

At least one part of the opioid tolerance process appears to be mediated through NMDA receptors. I believe it's the glutamate receptors, not glycine, that are involved in tolerance but I'm not 100%. Magnesium blocks the glutamate-NMDA receptor which is involved in learning, drug tolerance and other stuff.

I can only gather very vague information on the net about this, and it seems pretty complicated. Magnesium may enhance the NMDA receptors in some situations rather than block it. The research claimed magnesium doesn't block the glycine site if I remember correctly, which would explain the lack of psychosis at therapeutic magnesium dosages.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you have experience with dihydrocodine? I've been trying to find out the effective dose for SA purposes, but all I've found so far is analgesic doses and recreational dosages.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Ahh good old dope for SA. It might relieve your symptoms, but at what price? Tolerance sets in quick and you get as addicted to the rituals and "the life" as you do whatever opiate you are ingesting. When you get clean you'll find yourself back at day one but with a bigger hole to fill in than when you started. If you think you are one of the very rare people that can manage your own drug use theraputically with other drugs or sheer will power then more power to you.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
What is the rationale that UK lawmakers follow when they allow opiates to be OTC?

·
Registered
90 Posts
What is the rationale that UK lawmakers follow when they allow opiates to be OTC?
Maybe not being as big of a Nanny state is the UK usually is. Where a table of bureaucrats in a far-off building decide how your life should be lived.

If the United States actually followed the constitution, any adult would have right to do any drug/herb/supplement they wanted without Government intervention.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Low dose, it's very effective with low abuse potential. They add tylenol (and sometimes caffeine) in an attempt to thwart recreational use. In Canada you can get Tyelonol with 8mg of codiene OTC and in New Zealand they sell 12mg of codeine with Ibuprofen OTC. I suspect it's more of a cultural thing, in the UK they are more liberal with painkillers (OTC and prescription) but stricter with benzos. You can't get xanax through their national healthcare system, you need to pay a private doctor to prescribe it.

Just to give you an idea, prescription DHC is sold in 30-40mg doses in instant release form. So taking even a few 7.5mg OTC pills when the typical recreational dose is 70mg+ isn't likely to be very fun.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
My sister had some Rx cough syrup last year that had this stuff in it, but it was too strong for her (she's 9), so it just sorta sat in the cabinet. I woke up sick one morning but couldn't miss organic chemistry lecture so I took a bunch of stuff including a healthy dose or two of her cough syrup and it made me feel pretty nifty. That stuff ran out quickly, though, lol.

·
conceited martyrdom
511 Posts
If the United States actually followed the constitution, any adult would have right to do any drug/herb/supplement they wanted without Government intervention.
~yes.~

1 - 20 of 32 Posts