Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Oh jeez... okay.
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you prefer downloading games or buying them physically and why?

I usually do both on my 3DS. I'd rather download games I would find myself playing all the time like Pokemon or Smash Bros for example. Games like Bravely Default or Zelda OOT 3D I'd rather buy physically because I only see myself playing through games like these once or twice then I display them on my shelf or sell them.

·
raWr
142 Posts
I have always preferred the physical route, even though I don't actually get through most of the games I own, I simply like displaying my collection, even if no one but me really sees them *shrug*.

My Steam collection would argue otherwise.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I always buy the physical copy, if possible. I just prefer having a hard copy to keep on a shelf and look at.

I know in a few years we'll probably be all digital and that won't be possible, but by then hopefully I'll have a big enough shelf to be content anyway.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Physical where possible. I don't have a massive collection, nor a particular fondness for looking at game boxes on shelves, but I just think it's nice to have something tangible about the game. We are sensory creatures, I'm sure we all know the thrill of bringing that new game home from the shop, or opening the box the first time to get that new game smell!

Plus, you always know what you have. I forget the stuff I've bought on steam.

·
Sane
1,334 Posts
I prefer physical, mainly because digital copies tend to be a bit too big in download size, and on the PS3 especially, it takes ages to download games (it took me about 4-5 hours to download a 4GB game a week ago).

With the 8th gen consoles though, most physical games install everything anyway, and the install sizes are pretty massive now, so I don't know if I'll continue to buy physical in the future or not. I know for certain that I'm going to have to upgrade the 500GB hard drives in my PS4 and Xbone eventually though, with game installs over 40GBs, they just won't be big enough a year or two from now.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Physical

·
The Nimbus Man
1,617 Posts
Physical, because you can only hack physical cartridges with Powersaves.

I just like having the physical copy in my hands. Also tearing off the protective plastic covering and that annoying sticker seal never gets old.

·
Banned
5,174 Posts
Digital. Physical just seems like wasted space.

·
Big Nerd
1,131 Posts
Digital is less of a hastle because i can just get it off steam, let it download no problem. But theres just something about going down to the local gamestop, browsing, picking out that game you've had your eye on, paying it up front and opening it up at home.

Unfortunatly I play PC so theres not much use for the disk when i'm done downloading. Case makes a decent display though lol.

I always get my 3DS games from cartridges though, feels wrong to me to digitally download off the 3ds idk why, i'm an oddball

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
They each have their benefits and drawbacks but I am going have to side with digital. With digital, indie game developers can publish their own games and not rely on the big publishers. In the long run, it will benefit the gaming industry.

·
Why?
1,711 Posts
Physical every time. I like to be able to display my games. I also like having a physical product. If for whatever reason, something happens to your accounts online, the possibility of losing all of your digital purchases maybe there. Also, digital copies are far more expensive than physical copies in Europe. I have no idea why. It's like they're trying put you off from going digital.

Although, I only play on console. If I were a PC gamer, I would go digital. Steam sales are too good. I'm not looking forward to the day where games are digital and stored on the cloud only. It will feel like I don't really own it.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I jailbroke my Wii and copied all my games onto an external hard drive. It speeds up the loading time by a bit and makes it so I have a backup of all my games in case anything happens.

·
Oh jeez... okay.
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I jailbroke my Wii and copied all my games onto an external hard drive. It speeds up the loading time by a bit and makes it so I have a backup of all my games in case anything happens.
I've done the same in the past but I only used 4 or 8gb flash drives or burned them on to a DVD-R disc. I don't do it anymore though, it felt wrong doing so.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I liked physical copies because you got to actually have something, share with your friends etc. I have found memories of standing in like for world of warcraft burning crusade and wrath of the lich king midnight release. There was about 200-300 people in line to get collectors editions and copies etc. Nowadays you can just instantly download it to your computer no need to go outside.

The convenience is nice dont get me wrong though

·
Introvert
232 Posts
I like em both , digital for the convinience of having not to go outside. Physical for collecting i guess.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts