Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new digital camera. I noticed some of the models I'm interested in don't have an optical viewfinder. In order to take a picture, you need to rely on the LCD screen. Does anyone have experience relying on the LCD screen? How is it working out? How do the LCD screens perform in bright sunlight?

·
···---···
3,375 Posts
I think it actually works better because the picture taken lines up with what you see. In optical viewfinders, the point you look from is slightly different from what the camera takes so you have a little discrepancy between the two. Plus the width (zoom?) tends not to line up as well. Or maybe I've just used cheap cameras that don't line up well. I also think it's nice not to have to push your face up against the camera.

Disadvantage is of course that you use up your batter faster. But I have not noticed any difficulty seeing in bright daylight.

·
MayTheForceBeWithYou
19,559 Posts
actually most new digital cameras that are basic point&shoots don't have an optical viewfinder. all of them are either lcd screen and touch screen.

that's just the way of technology nowadays.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
I've always only used the screen on my old Olympus but it's not exactly the greatest way to take pictures. Unless they've gotten a lot better, the CCDs on these cameras are not sensitive enough to pick up a really good image in normal indoor light. The color balance is usually way off, the image is grainy and dark, etc. It'll give you a basic idea of what you're going to get but your final results could be wildly different from what you expected.

I haven't used a digital SLR yet so can't comment. I heard the viewfinder was actually electronic in most of them. If so, it could be almost as bad as the screen.

·
The way out is through.
171 Posts
Generally it's something you get used to really quickly. My point-and-shoot camera (Panasonic FX500) just had a 3" screen, no viewfinder, and it didn't bother me in the least. Now I mostly use my Nikon D60, which ONLY lets you use the viewfinder, and I got used to that pretty easily too. It's just a matter of preference and both ways work pretty well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Viewfinders are probably only worth it on slr's as it's direct light reflected from mirrors, or a prism if you're hardcore, so the image is the same as you would see without a camera in front of your face. Not sure how electronic viewfinders work exactly but i'm pretty safe in assuming the light isn't direct and..is reproduced electronically lol, usually creating a much less quality image especially with dim light....same thing with lcd's. Anyway when it's lcd vs electronic viewfinder there aren't as many downsides to using the lcd. It's bigger and you dont have to squash your face against it but the EVf is probably more responsive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts