Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to be about the last person in America without one and was wondering if any of you had any suggestions on what to get?

I was thinking that perhaps even the cheapest models would do well with my limited needs given how much technology has advanced over the last several years. I was thinking that digital cameras might be like cars where if your need is something that can do 55 mph that would be any & all models, even the cheapest.

Any ideas? What should I look for in a camera? I have no clue, having never bought one before.

Thanks.

I could have put this in Geeks, but since virtually everyone has one it seems far more general than geeky.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
I would check amazon. Although you can get much higher now, over 12, I am still using my 5 year old Samsung Digimax with 5 megapixels and it takes great pictures. Depends on what you are looking for. You dont need 12 mp for decent pictures.

·
Registered
416 Posts
the top brands for digital cameras are Canon and Nikon.

As a general rule, you dont need more than 5 mega pixel . these days cameras have 12 mega pixels.
So you can get old models of canon for less than $200. they will have around 5 mega pixels.
I have a canon. one issue with canon is it is not too good in low light.
In bright light it awesome.

dpreview.com is a good site for reviewing digital cameras.

Jer

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
depends on a lot of things. For example, some menus are a little easier to understand than others, some buttons could be too small, what kind of batteries it takes, the size of the camera, size of the LCD screen, do you also want it to shoot video? etc.

It's true about megapixels. You don't need that many (heck, you barely even need 2MP to print out a 4 x 6 picture). These days 8-12 megapixels are the norm for compact cameras--which in my opinion is overkill. The biggest problem with compact cameras though, is they are terrible in low light. The cheaper you go, the less lighting situations you can use your camera in.

Look for Kodak cameras. They're often cheaper than the Canons and Sonys, but still take good pictures. Or, you can get a used one that isn't very old. The older you go, the slower the image processor (which means you get blurry pictures).

If I, myself, were looking for a camera, I would look into the Fuji finepix line. They have a history of having excellent image sensors, but don't have the wide variety of options as the canons. They're also not as stylish.

·
SAS Member
939 Posts
I own a discontinued Nikon DSLR model, 6 megapixels. It takes really good photos.
If you're looking for a simple point and shoot camera, the Nikon models are pretty good. My parents both have their own little Nikon cameras - I think one of them is the model L14. They got a good deal on them, less than $100.
Checking out cameras at your local store is fine, but if you decide to purchase a camera online, check out http://www.beachcamera.com - really good place to buy cameras and supplies.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well your thread got moved so obviously someone thought it was more geeky than general. :b
I thought an item owned by substantially all SAS members was quite general in nature.

I wouldn't be surprised if more SAS members owned a digital camera than owned a car.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,108 Posts
I thought an item owned by substantially all SAS members was quite general in nature.

I wouldn't be surprised if more SAS members owned a digital camera than owned a car.
We all own PCs or laptops too but discussion about them goes here.

I have a 6 mp Fujifilm F20. It's the size of a pack of cigarettes and cost about $129 about 3 years ago. I originally wanted something small and cheap that I could carry caving. Something that I wouldn't be too upset if it got smashed by a rock or decided to go for a swim. It takes great pictures, does pretty well in low or bright light and is still going strong.

·
Sassy
2,222 Posts
All I've ever had were Sony Cybershots. Really cool cameras. I currently have a baby blue W120. When my previous one died, I had tried to order the same model from Sears. I got an email saying it was ready for pick-up, but when I went to get it they actually didn't have any (discontinued). So I got to pick out a nicer, newer model for the same price. Oh Sears, I always seem to unintentionally screw them over when it comes to digital cameras.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts