Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a problem with speaking clearly? I first thought it was juts due to anxiety and being nervous but even when i talk into a webcam or recorder its very hard to speak clearly. I dont know if a speech therapist would help this or what but it seems like i have to focus so hard on ever letter of every word and its really frustrating. Any help or advice would be great thanks!

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
Did I post this thread under a different username?

Speech difficulty keeps me even quieter than I already am. Whenever there's a rare time I have something to contribute to a conversation, I often hold back due to the fear of fumbling over every word as I desperately attempt to get them out. It's not just stuttering, because when I'm not doing that I'm told I speak too fast making my words unclear.

It just seems like it requires too much effort to move your mouth and tongue in the right position so many times every second in order to speak comprehensively.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Same here. I can't seem to make it to the end of sentences without multiple pauses or without being able to think of a word. Some words I have to slow down to say too.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I started a thread the other day about people not hearing me when I talk because i speak to softly, but what you're all experiencing happens to me as well. When I talk I trip over my words, often can't think of the right word to use, or say the wrong word to what I meant to say. There have been times when i've spoken to someone and not been sure if i've said what I was thinking or just spoke gibberish.

I think if I could get myself speaking clearly and concisely it would be a major boost to my self-confidence.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was debating about writing a thread like this too. I have a hard time communicating as well. I feel like I have fluid thoughts and can speak effeciantly enough in my mind but I never comes out the way I intended it to or wanted it to, I'll say things in the wrong order or forget what I'm saying or just plan not make sense. I feel as if there is a malfunction between my brian and my mouth.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Oh man, I sure do. If I'm not speaking too softly then I'm probably slaughtering the pronunciation of every other word I say. Perhaps it's the nerves that scramble everything up, but my pronunciation skills just goes down the drain when I speak to people I'm not entirely comfortable with. This explains why I never answer questions in class or brew up conversation with people.

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
I can't seem to make it to the end of sentences without multiple pauses or without being able to think of a word. Some words I have to slow down to say too.
When I talk I trip over my words, often can't think of the right word to use, or say the wrong word to what I meant to say.
I feel like I have fluid thoughts and can speak effeciantly enough in my mind but I never comes out the way I intended it to or wanted it to, I'll say things in the wrong order or forget what I'm saying or just plan not make sense.
:ditto x3

·
learning...
663 Posts
This is a big worry for me, too; along with the mind going blank, etc, during conversation.
It's almost like I'm slurring my words -- not pronouncing them properly, some words melding into eachother: it sounds like I can't be bothered to talk or something.
I honestly don't know why I do this, though: I'm not on medication... is it just another symptom of SA.
Another thing I do is kind of push my voice down, if that makes sense (?). It's like the opposite of a stage actor "projecting" their voice so even when they appear to be speaking quietly they can be heard at the back of the auditorium -- in my case, I'm so nervous when I speak that I (automatically) supress my voice, which makes talking quite tiring.

I guess these are all related to the same thing. The difficulty in pronouncing words properly is the main one I want to overcome, though. I wondered if the main reason for it in my case is because I don't actually talk much, so it's not something I have constant practice with anymore (I used to talk all the time when I was a kid).
I've only just started reading out loud for about 20-30 minutes every day. I'm hoping that helps with the pronunciation and gets me more confident about hearing my own voice, so I won't feel the need to push it down or supress it anymore.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is a big worry for me, too; along with the mind going blank, etc, during conversation.
It's almost like I'm slurring my words -- not pronouncing them properly, some words melding into eachother: it sounds like I can't be bothered to talk or something.
I honestly don't know why I do this, though: I'm not on medication... is it just another symptom of SA.
Another thing I do is kind of push my voice down, if that makes sense (?). It's like the opposite of a stage actor "projecting" their voice so even when they appear to be speaking quietly they can be heard at the back of the auditorium -- in my case, I'm so nervous when I speak that I (automatically) supress my voice, which makes talking quite tiring.

I guess these are all related to the same thing. The difficulty in pronouncing words properly is the main one I want to overcome, though. I wondered if the main reason for it in my case is because I don't actually talk much, so it's not something I have constant practice with anymore (I used to talk all the time when I was a kid).
I've only just started reading out loud for about 20-30 minutes every day. I'm hoping that helps with the pronunciation and gets me more confident about hearing my own voice, so I won't feel the need to push it down or supress it anymore.
I started reading outloud and started doing a lot of tongue twisters. I think sometimes that my lack of ability to speak clearly is due to simply not using my voice. Does that make sense to anyone? Like not using it so i lose it? I think its directly related to my SA because it causes me to be quiet.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I started reading outloud and started doing a lot of tongue twisters. I think sometimes that my lack of ability to speak clearly is due to simply not using my voice. Does that make sense to anyone? Like not using it so i lose it? I think its directly related to my SA because it causes me to be quiet.
That could be true. I sometimes think that the muscles around my mouth don't get enough use.

I hate when I say something to someone and they hear something completely different from what I said.

For example:

Me: "I heard the weather was going to warm up by the weekend?"
Nurse: "What? You bought a new car."

LMAO!!

·
Banned
136 Posts
well, I usually try to make fun of myself if I fumble with my words, my problem is speaking low when I'm around people of authority. I can't seem to control the volume of my voice. I'm afraid that I either talk too low or talk to loud both of which cause me embarassement.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
When i am anxious my speech is terrible, i also have trouble pronouncing the letter r so that doesn't help. I have often phoned some places and got letters back with my name wrong and my address spelt wrong even though i have spelt them out for them. What's really bad is when i have to phone to apply for a job and i sound so un-intelligent because i mumble. It probably puts the employer right off to begin with.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Same here. I am always able to have an idea in my head, but I can never make it into a sound. I can change that idea into a sight, by typing or through sign language, but never through speech. I get so jumbled and that just makes me more anxious.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
bheslop said:
That could be true. I sometimes think that the muscles around my mouth don't get enough use.

I hate when I say something to someone and they hear something completely different from what I said.

For example:

Me: "I heard the weather was going to warm up by the weekend?"
Nurse: "What? You bought a new car."

LMAO!!
yeah i've thought that too-like since I NEVER talk other than at home, maybe my voice did not develop as far as those who always have someone to talk to in school

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
I tend to stumble over my words and stutter when I'm nervous. Also I tend to slur words together. Add that to my quiet voice and Southern accent, and I'm very hard to understand.

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
yeah i've thought that too-like since I NEVER talk other than at home, maybe my voice did not develop as far as those who always have someone to talk to in school
I've also thought about this. When nobodies home I sometimes talk to myself out loud to practice speaking a little slower and make my words flow together easier without stuttering. It might seem a little wierd, but practicing can be quite useful! :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yeah, I have this problem too. I am constantly stuttering, stumbling over my words, and rearanging words in a sentence. It's really frustrating when people can't understand me. To try to help myself out I've started saying some words slower, which just makes me sound stupid.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts