Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Which do you drink?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's see how many of you drink diet soda, vs how many drink that teeth-rotting sugar water soda.

It would also be interesting to hear how many cavities, rotten/missing teeth, fillings, crowns, or other dental work you have and see if that has any correlation to your choice of diet or regular soda.

I personally have no dental work of any kind in my mouth and have been drinking diet soda, and lots of it, for 20+ years. I suspect there could be a connection.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
There is a connection. I have some cavities and a crown. I drank tons and tons of soda when I was younger.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just now started at 23 to drink diet coke(whats its called in the south regardless if its pepsi) For years I just drank sweet tea and my mom put a lot of sugar in it so that contributed to my 8 fillings, 2 of those have since been refilled so a grand total of 10 for sugar water.

·
Yup.. it's me!
2,458 Posts
I changed over to diet coke a few years ago... I also like that new coke zero and diet coke with splenda... the diet coke with lime is also good... but diet cherry coke sucks...

·
Super Beaver
8,033 Posts
I don't get how people can drink diet sodas.. the aftertaste is horrible!! I may have cavities but at least I won't get brain cancer from that fake sugar stuff they use :lol

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mserychic said:
I don't get how people can drink diet sodas.. the aftertaste is horrible!! I may have cavities but at least I won't get brain cancer from that fake sugar stuff they use :lol
Diet sodas don't have any aftertaste, or at least I've failed to notice any in decades of use. I will admit that aspartame (Nutrasweet) doesn't taste as good as real sugar water, but at 150 calories per can for the real thing, I get to choose between taste and having to buy sweat pants that will allow me to ballon up to an infinite weight.

And they even took the cancer warnings off saccarine products a number of years ago, because they concluded that it only causes cancer if you're a rat and some scientist feeds you ridiculously large amounts way beyond what any human could possibly consume.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I don't drink that 'sugar water'..actually I had half a can of vanilla coke today which i labeled as sugar water :lol, funny you mention that name!
I'm not a fan of any soda, i prefer water and iced herbal teas to it.

·
Poorly Educated
4,912 Posts
I drink the regular variety of sugar water. I've tried diet pop before like Diet Pepsi and Diet Mountain Dew but I can't stand the aftertaste. Maybe some people don't notice it or else they get used to it over time but whenever I drink that stuff I always have this nasty taste in my mouth for hours afterward.

·
Sassy
2,222 Posts
Diet sodas are disgusting. So it's regular soda for me. And I've only had one baby cavity that didn't even require novacaine.

And for diet soda drinkers, beware of the phenylalanine that is in aspartame, it's "a neurotoxin and excites the neurons in the brain to the point of cellular death." And it has about 90 different side effects. My aunt's friend had me look up this ingredient after he was experiencing some after taking up diet sodas.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sheri said:
beware of the phenylalanine that is in aspartame, it's "a neurotoxin and excites the neurons in the brain to the point of cellular death." And it has about 90 different side effects.
Be careful with the potentially fatal water in soda too. Water is the #1 cause of drowning. Water, in its solid form, ice, can cause serious injury & death by way of car crashes or slips & falls. And in vapor form, steam, it can cause serious burns.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
UltraShy said:
Be careful with the potentially fatal water in soda too. Water is the #1 cause of drowning. Water, in its solid form, ice, can cause serious injury & death by way of car crashes or slips & falls. And in vapor form, steam, it can cause serious burns.
:lol

·
Registered
102 Posts
I try to stay away from that junk. Both are equally bad for you in my opinion. Very rarely I do have some regular soda because I would rather drink real sugar than that artificial stuff. I drink lots and lots of water and ice tea when we eat out somewhere.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't drink soda anymore period, unless I go out to eat and then I will treat myself to the real thing, lol.

I was raised in a house where we drank massive quantities of soda. I have no clue what my parents were thinking. I would never let my own children consume the things I did as a child.

I think I might have had one cavity in my life until the age of 20. But, I hadn't been to a dentist at all between the ages of 18-20, and that is when all the trouble began brewing.

Once I was out living on my own at the age of 18, I was drinking so much Coke it was insane. I wouldn't even be able to guess how many cans a day. It was bad. But having grown up that way, I didn't understand that it wasn't normal to do that. My teeth didn't hurt at all, so I had no clue that anything was wrong.

I have had so much dental work done since the age of 20 that it would be impossible for me to even tell what all has been done. I'm 27 now and quit drinking "real" soda maybe 2 years ago. But I had quit drinking massive amounts several years ago. I was one of those people who thought diet soda had a disgusting aftertaste before. Actually, I always felt nauseated after drinking diet soda, so I assumed my stomach didn't like aspartame very much. When I quit smoking for the new year, I picked up the habit of drinking my husband's diet Coke. For some reason, I began to like it! Now I love it! But recently we decided not to buy it anymore because any soda is bad for you, whether it's diet or not. The phosphates in all soda keep your bones from absorbing calcium, and as a woman, my bones need all the calcium they can get. Plus, when I drink so much diet soda, I tend to neglect drinking water and therefore am probably dehydrated most of the time. And lastly, we are very cheap and spending all that money on soda each week is a total waste. Water does a body good.

On to the dental work. Let me think.... I've had 5 root canals. 5 crowns. Scaling and root planing. 4 rotten wisdom teeth extracted. I seriously cannot even guess how many fillings I've had. Probably around 25-30 I'm guessing. There are probably other things I'm just not remembering at the moment. My teeth are in good shape now and I intend to keep them that way. One would never guess by looking at my teeth that I've had all this work done. I have a very good dentist:) I floss after every meal, use a Sonicare toothbrush 2x a day, and use ACT fluoride rinse and this seems to keep the teeth and gums happy.

Soda is yummy and a nice treat, but definitely not good for daily consumption. I have sure learned my lesson!

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
raalka said:
On to the dental work. Let me think.... I've had 5 root canals. 5 crowns. Scaling and root planing. 4 rotten wisdom teeth extracted. I seriously cannot even guess how many fillings I've had. Probably around 25-30 I'm guessing.
That's quite stunning, given that one only has 32 teeth.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,113 Posts
I seldom drink soda but when I do it's regular. I hate the taste of diet.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts