Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Make anxiety bearable or totally remove it ?

I haven't been on anything in some time but I have taken paroxetine, Zoloft, lexapro and others in the past. They all ended up making me feel like a zombie and maybe only helped 10% with anxiety. The overwhelming feeling was not caring about anything but still being anxious...sounds contradictory but that's what I felt. I also got headaches and with the paroxetine I started having weird issues with breathing and heart rate. Got off it after a month or two

Anyway I'm contemplating starting something but I've had poor experiences.. Any ideas ?

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Anyway I'm contemplating starting something but I've had poor experiences.. Any ideas ?
After at least three SSRIs it's time to try something that's not another SSRI. Try a benzo (Xanax, Klonopin, Valium, Ativan). With a benzo you'll have full effects within the hour so no waiting 6-8 weeks to see if it works or not. Benzos tend to work the best for the greatest number of patients with the least number of side effects, making them a top choice.

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[QUOTEtraShy;1071122441]After at least three SSRIs it's time to try something that's not another SSRI. Try a benzo (Xanax, Klonopin, Valium, Ativan). With a benzo you'll have full effects within the hour so no waiting 6-8 weeks to see if it works or not. Benzos tend to work the best for the greatest number of patients with the least number of side effects, making them a top choice.[/QUOTE]

Thank you I will look into this

·
Down the rabbit hole
4,499 Posts
how long do the effects of a benzo last? and how often can you take them?
Its individual and dose depended, but short acting some 6-7hours longer acting can last for days if the dose is repeated and what dose it is.

Well you can take another pill after some 6hours when you feel that the benzo loses its effect. A general rule is not to use Benzo longer than 8weeks... To reduce risk of tollerance and addiction. Altough some "rebound syndrome" can occur (the anxiety or sleep problem comes back a bit worse then before) For some Benzo Ativan/Lorazepam that can happans as soon as after only 3days of use.

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its individual and dose depended, but short acting some 6-7hours longer acting can last for days if the dose is repeated and what dose it is.

Well you can take another pill after some 6hours when you feel that the benzo loses its effect. A general rule is not to use Benzo longer than 8weeks... To reduce risk of tollerance and addiction. Altough some "rebound syndrome" can occur (the anxiety or sleep problem comes back a bit worse then before) For some Benzo Ativan/Lorazepam that can happans as soon as after only 3days of use.
Doc told me to take 2 a day for 30 days

·
Registered
443 Posts
there habit forming
Yeah. There's a reason that many psychiatrists worth their salt won't prescribe a benzo first or before trying many other options - the only reason I might be getting them is because I used to take Xanax (very rarely, maybe a few times per month), so I have a record of not being addicted, and because I'm also on an SSRI.

Most SSRIs take away many of the ****ty physical aspects of anxiety, but won't remove the mental feeling completely.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes, I've been on Cipralex (Lexapro) for about 5 months and I've had an absolute success in the removal or managing of my anxiety.
But I think part of that was my mind set going in to seeking medication, I never expected anyone to cure me at all, but I went in with the mindset that any potentially could.but if I were to think like that, it gave way room for me to be disappointed which isn't helpful in any way.

I also didn't go in just blindly assuming that my GP was someone who knew everything. With that, I was able to ask her why it was prescribed to me because that matters.
Also, I think it really helps if people actually do research on the medications they may take because it's not a GP's job to actually keep up with Medications for mental health because it's a specific field for a reason.
New studies come out all the time about medications that have been out for years, but the doctor doesn't care to learn it, so it's up to you to care about what you put in your body.

A big issue with Lexapro when it first came out, was that they didn't yet know the maximum dosage or similar things. So the people that were given it, generally had a negative experience because no one knew anything about it in terms of how SSRI side effects can occur or the idea of withdrawls from it.

So those people tend to always just tell people never to take it, which isn't smart because then it gives you a bias about the one medication that could help.

Now that's just my experience with Lexapro and what I read on forums and such. Everyone seems to come here for answers when they're just opinions taken as more serious because they have experienced their opinion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts