Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never knew any of my great-grandparents. I believe my paternal great-grandmother was the last of them living, I don't know recall how old she was, but I found her obituary online once that was from 1982. So quite a few years before I was born, and I don't know when the others passed away. I don't believe my mother even knew most of her grandparents if any, although on my dad's side all of them were still living in his lifetime.

My maternal grandfather I have possibly a few early memories of but they could be just imagined ones from looking at pictures of when he visited. He passed away when I was 3 and I didn't see him often so it's hard to say. My grandmother on that side passed away 4 years ago, and I knew her well.

My paternal grandpa passed away last year. My grandma on that side is still living, and I still see her pretty often, but not as much as I did when I was younger.

·
Super Moderator
8,450 Posts
I know both my grandmas. I met my paternal great grandma once for few minutes when I was little. The only memory I have was my grandma introducing her to my sister and I, and great grandma just gave us a cold stare, then gave each of us a slight single nod of acknowledgement (just one nod each), looked away and slowly limped off with the cigarette in her mouth into the garden where she usually just chills and smokes. And my grandma just casually mentioning she's just a grumpy old fart.

Reactions: WillYouStopDave

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes, 2 grandmas and a grandpa. The other grandpa passed away in his fourties, so i never met him.
I also (very barely) knew a great-grandma. She was alive until i was a teenager, we just didn't meet more than a few times.
None of them are alive anymore, sadly. :/

·
Administrator
9,142 Posts
I only knew one grandmother (my dad’s mum) and she died when I was six. My grandfather (her husband) died the year before I was born, and I think it was the same week my mum found out she was having me. I was disappointed when I found out that my mum’s parents died before I was born because I wanted to see them.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
The only grandparent I ever met was my maternal grandmother, and she died of cancer when I was 12. My maternal grandfather killed himself long before I was born, but my grandma remarried a guy I knew as "papa" even though we weren't blood-related at all. He left after my grandma died and we never heard from him again. I know my paternal grandfather died of lung cancer when my dad was only like 16, and my paternal grandmother died before I was born although I don't remember how. I never knew any of my great-grandparents.

Depression and cancer both run strong in my family. Cancer has already claimed my father and my mom's brother, and has afflicted her other brother although he's in remission now. I don't look forward to getting that death-sentence myself because I know I'm not strong enough to fight it. It makes me glad that I'll be the last of my line, although I feel bad for many of my cousins who have had tons of kids... I really don't think that people with a strong family history of depression and/or cancer should pass on those faulty genes.

·
Your local potato farmer
1,924 Posts
No. All of my grandparents died pretty young and my parents had me pretty late. The only one I’ve met is my dads mom but she died when I was 2 months old so I don’t have any memory of her.

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,840 Posts
I knew my grandmother from my mother's side, I don't think she liked us very much. When I was a child, she moved into our house, but did not remain long as she passed away shortly after. I always felt uncomfortable being around her, she was pretty strict and if you crossed her she would give you the evil eye. My grandfather from my father's side lived in California, and we did not get to see him very often. I thought he was pretty cool though, we just didn't get to see him very often. He did live a long time though, he was around while I was still in my 30s. I remember camping with him once, and saying he was too old to play tag. He must have been in his sixties, and damn I found out he was good at playing tag after he took me up on his offer 🤣

I wish I got a chance to know him better, he was a pretty cool guy. I remember when I was really young, he came to visit us in his huge RV, that thing was awesome. The last memory of him that I have, is when I had a really severe case of mono, and he was at my door telling me good bye. I felt kind of bad, because usually I'd give him a hug to send him off, but he was afraid of getting sick. Still though, it was nice to talk to him on the phone every once in a while. I remember him as a quiet and friendly grandpa, who loved photography, and taking us out when he could get to New England, always gave us a call on the holidays, always sent out cards.

The rest of my grandparents I don't remember.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I remember 3 of my great grandmothers pretty well, one died when I was about, 4, another when I was about 7 and another when I was 8. They are fond memories mostly but I don't recall been upset when any of them died (obviously due to been quite young).

I dont recall any of my great grandfathers but I do have pictures of myself with one of them. I'm wearing bright red Wellington boots with a massive grin on my face and I think we are in a garden somewhere - he looks like a jolly old man, the kind of person you wish you had gotten the chance to know better.

I have known all of my grandparents. I have 3 grandfathers as my mother was raised by her stepfather - who I didn't realise wasn't my biological grandfather until I was about 10 as to me he was just my grandad. He died a few years ago and was an amazing man 😊, I miss him very much. My grandma is still alive but pretty frail now. Its horrible to watch people fade away as they get older 😥.

My biological grandfather died when I was about 13 and only met him a handful of times. Of my paternal grandparents only my grandad is still alive - he isn't a very nice person and I have no desire to have a relationship with him, my grandma however was lovely, she died 3 months before my daughter was born so never got to meet her. We hadn't been in contact for sometime and I had planned to reach out when my daughter was born. My grandad never told anyone she wasn't well so it was a shock to everyone she when she died of cancer. One of my biggest regrets is that I didn't see her much as I got older. She had a really rubbish life with my grandad (alcoholic/controlling etc...) I didn't realise how bad at the time.

I guess it's just life but I'm at that age now where many older family members are getting ill and won't be here in a year or so....

I remember a few elderly neighbours when I was much younger - they would yell and we would just think they were "crazy" and laugh at them. Seems obvious now they probably had dementia or something - I wish I had had more understanding of this when younger. A lot of the people I work with now are 80+ years and have had remarkable lives. I think I could have learned a lot from my great grandparents/grandparents but when you are young you don't think to ask. You presume they are old and boring and have always been that way 🤣

·
Failure's Art
2,497 Posts
I knew my grandparents, who have now all passed away, but did not know my great grandparents. I didn't know my grandparents that well for a number of reasons but mainly because all of them except for my paternal grandmother died when I was fairly young, like elementary school to high school age, depending on which one. My parents were older when they had me than most people and all my grandparents smoked and had terrible diets and never exercised so they all had relatively short lives. Also I think my mother's parents may have been older when they had her as well. My paternal grandmother didn't pass away until after I graduated college but I was never close to her and only visited her maybe once or twice a year, if that. My extended family really isn't very close at all.

·
Super Moderator
4,933 Posts
The most I have/know about them are records - pictures that my parents have and Ancestry records. Some things that relatives have said don't hold much weight but it appeared that at least one of what was said about having family here for centuries (my father's side) was true. The claim on whether if there were relations to any presidents has not been verified as of right now.

I had only seen my grandmother from my father's side a few times before she passed away. I can barely remember one of them. One thing I do have from her (as stupid as this may sound) is a teddy bear that was said that she gifted to me and I'm holding onto it to this day because of that. Kind of a big teddy bear for someone who was a toddler at best.

I guess to directly answer the question - no, at least not in memory. Only through items.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Just knew my two Paternal Grandparents. I didn't know my Maternal Grandparents because they died before I was born. My mom's parent's were 45 years old when they had her. Her father died when she was a senior in highschool from bowel cancer and her mother died 4 years later from complications from diabetes.

·
Super Moderator
34,611 Posts
I knew both grandmothers (one much better than the other). I remember my maternal grandfather but only vaguely. He died of cancer. I only have very fuzzy memories of him before the cancer and then all I remember was he was always in bed.

Never met my dad's dad. He died before I was born. I think I remember a great grandmother but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
All my grandparents died before I was born. My paternal grandfather was born in 1869. He was a coal miner and then became a farmer. I think he was a blaster in the mines I have this really old Ingersoll Rand air drill that I think he used to drill the holes for the dynamite. My maternal grandfather was a coal miner all his life.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts