Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did. - I wanted some connections-people that I felt a certain closeness to - people I'd talk to on a fairly regular basis and get to know.- I'm here for lots of reasons-a time filler,support,listening to others ideas,opinions etc.- I assumed (incorrectly I guess),that many on here would be interested in a sort of friendship.- I've been surprised that's not the case. Have you noticed this? Do you find it odd?

·
Banned
501 Posts
I personally didn't expected to make friends here. Pitifully, I've been trying for years to make long-distance friends online and I failed miserably! Lol, for instance, I used to have AOL and I try to meet new people through its chat rooms. I only managed to make a long-distance online romance with a girl from Las Vegas. That only lasted a few months.

Afterward, I joined a pen-pal site called interpals.net. Back in 2001, it was very popular and I made a few friends there from all around the world: Australia, Germany, France and one from California. :b But those only lasted about a few months as well.

I can safely say that forming an enduring long-distance relationship is almost impossible. Though, there could be some exceptions.

However, I think that if you want to meet new local people and make friends, then this site could be helpful. Only obstacle of course is the SAD that hinders a lot of people from doing that.

·
Protector of the Den
15,034 Posts
I've hoped to meet friends on this site. There are a few people that I talk to through PMs. Seems like there are a lot of people who want to make friends. They just don't know how to go about it. Anxiety :( I've really hoped to meet members in real life, but I don't know if that will ever happen.

PM me if you would like to talk sometime

·
Protector of the Den
15,034 Posts
DepecheEyes, I've also noticed that online friendships don't seem to last very long. I think forums work better, because you have a place in common with the other person. Most still seem to fizzle out, though :(

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
I have made friends on this site. :con

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)

·
SAS Member
14,412 Posts
^same here.

We dont talk anymore though, but i did have a few people i talked to a while back.
And of course i met my girlfriend here.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I guess somewhere in my list of reasons for joining this forum was making friends with people who I have something in common. Whether or not that will happen I guess remains to be seen. :um

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yes, I have made some great friends here. They are a wonderful source of support for me.

Still Waters...we've talked a little in the past, and I always love hearing from you. Please feel free to PM me whenever you'd like to chat. I am always looking for more friends. :)

·
Registered
984 Posts
Not really. I did the whole online friends thing years ago and it's not really my cup of tea. I come here for support and to share.

·
Banned
501 Posts
Now that I realize it, there's an ambiguity with the word "friend." I don't know what other people mean when they use that word.

I will say this: when I do make friends I don't want to spend my time just talking. I also want to be doing some fun activities like sight-seeing, going to bars, maybe go to the arcades, etc. As you can see, I definitely don't see using only online communication (such as IM, voice chatting, email correspondence, forums and video chatting) as a good way to maintain my type of friendship.

Some here are content just talking which is cool. But for me, I need more!

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DepecheEyes-Yes,I agree! I would love to have real life friends- but hey,I'll take what I can get-I can't be too picky.- Off topic I know,but what does your user name mean?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Yes. I want friends. Lately Ive been desperate. Id love to have SA friends.

·
Banned
501 Posts
DepecheEyes-Yes,I agree! I would love to have real life friends- but hey,I'll take what I can get-I can't be too picky.- Off topic I know,but what does your user name mean?
The first word, Depeche, is an ambiguous french word that I've gotten from my favorite band, Depeche Mode. One of my favorite song of theirs is "World in my Eyes" and so I combined the two into DepecheEyes.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
A long time ago I did but from what I've seen friendships are pretty temporary and even more temporary online. Most normal people just call the people that are around them at work, school, etc. friends and when those people change it doesn't make much difference. Humans are all pretty much interchangable.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I did. - I wanted some connections-people that I felt a certain closeness to - people I'd talk to on a fairly regular basis and get to know.- I'm here for lots of reasons-a time filler,support,listening to others ideas,opinions etc.- I assumed (incorrectly I guess),that many on here would be interested in a sort of friendship.- I've been surprised that's not the case. Have you noticed this? Do you find it odd?
I was very excited to find that such a site existed, and at first was pretty enthralled to discover that there were other people who actually understood and could relate to the wierdness that is my life, but I agree it's been a bit of a let down as far as being able to connect with people on a deeper level. Though I have made a couple friends, it's not been quite what I had initially envisioned I guess; but as you say -- I'll take what I can get.

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
I've only had online friendships with people that I share a lot of interests with, or have similar personalities. Talking online can be kind of strenuous, but it's nice to know that they're there. One went on for a few years, which was nice. Maybe someday I'll get lucky and one of them will happen to live in the same city (hah! yeah right).

Maybe if all 8 billion people in the world moved into one giant city... :um

·
Registered
87 Posts
I grew up online.. It's so easy for me to make friends on any game or chatroom or forum.. I've had a few very intimate friends before though email and on WoW, but that eventually ended with friendship issues and his disappearance/my rejection. Anyway, online friendships are absolutely unfulfilling for me, and counter-productive for anyone trying to break into the social world.

·
SAS Member since 6/2/01
260 Posts
Yeah, but I only made a couple. Last one was 6 years ago. I just lucked out I guess.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I actually find it easier to talk to people who have SA. You don't have to go through the whole, while can I see your picture thing. People who have SA sort of understand eachother's struggles.

Mainly, when I talk to someone individually it is about SA. Things that they are doing to help themselves, etc. For myself, I seem to only be able to open myself to talking to one person at a time. Otherwise, it begins to get confusing and overwhelming. I have learned that it is difficult for me to open up to people so it's important for me to practice this.

I was naieve when I first joined this. I thought that just because somebody had SA that we would have lots in common, lol! That is certainly not the case.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts