Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know why I'm thinking about this today, but I remember during my worst year (7th grade) I had some really awesome teachers who made my days at school so much better.

I can't recall their names at the moment. However I would like to publicly thank my current events teacher who was a really cool guy. I had the most fun in his class.

Also, my communications teacher who seemed to know that I didn't fit in. She made us all go around in a circle and compliment each other. One guy said I seemed like a "loyal friend." Ha. It's just too bad no one wanted to be my friend.

Anyone have good stories to share?

·
MEAT POPSICLE
857 Posts
Nope, got labeled as a.d.d and shoved into a special needs class and forgot about. So I have noone to thank... oh well :) such is life!

·
Registered
407 Posts
No. My mom decided to tell all my teachers that I have social anxiety this year. Now they all treat me like I'm autistic and ask if I "get extra time" on all my tests and quizzes. -_-

·
Banned
8,009 Posts
No, but some teachers deal with it better than others. Some just think im lazy, im sure my Spanish teacher disliked me for that reason :/ others give me extra support and aren't too shouty when it comes to me doing poorly/late homework.

I've noticed that with experience teachers tend to deal with it better, younger teachers seem to ignore it and just think im lazy while older ones, they say things when I do poorly/don't hand in homework but the way they deal with things just makes me feel better about doing it. Younger teachers tend to leave you on your own (Although Id imagine student teachers wouldn't know how to deal with this, in maths today I just sat there doing work, feeling crappy since I was alone and I noticed the student teacher was just looking at me, probably wondering why I was being so quiet lol.) the best example of a teacher doing this was my old Geology teacher (he was 74), he had a way of not leaving me out and when I didn't finish homework on time, or it was low-quality (I think I only done this the once, he had a way of making everyone respect him enough not to miss a deadline.) he would ask me to do it again but it made me want to learn so much. I only known him for half a year (he passed away earlier this year.) but he was the greatest teacher i've ever had. I've dropped Geology since but that was because of poor grades (the school had to bring in a emergency teacher.) but i'll always remember him for being so nice.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I had many excellent, supportive teachers, especially in high school. one, for example, told me that I'll never be a successful man (not exactly with the same words, but I still got the picture). I don't seem having been able to shake off her curse yet

·
Registered
6 Posts
My french teacher in 3rd grade of high school. We had to do a oral presentation as one of our final exam, and she put our name in a hat to know who will begin. She then took me apart at the end of class, with two other students and told us that we didn't had to stress over that because we could do our presentation alone with her over lunchtime, if we wanted. She told us that she felt it would be unfair for us to talk in front of the whole class. I was being bullied at this time, and the two other had similar difficulties. The best part is that nobody ever knew that we had a special treatment because she publicly announced in the classroom at the end of the second day of presentation that we were running out of time, and the remaining students would do their presentation over lunchtime (of course, nobody wanted to stay to watch our presentation). She planned it all along to make sure we were comfortable doing our presentation, so our grades wouldn't suffer.

And one of my current uni teacher. We have a group project and he made the teams, so it would be fair for everybody. I was so thankful I didn't had to find a team by myself. I usually end up in a team of people that know each other and I stick out as the weird/random person they had to take because they were missing a partner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts