Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By positive role model, I mean not necessarily your parents. Maybe a sister, brother, family friend etc. Did you feel you had one and could come to them for anything? If not, do you think it would of helped you? I sometimes wonder how much this impacts a person's likelihood of developing SA. Growing up, I was an only child and I did not develop an emotional bond with either of my parents and really had no one I looked up to in general. In alot of ways, I felt like I was swimming in a never-ending sea of confusion growing up and never felt comfortable talking about my feelings to anyone. How about you?

·
Registered
16 Posts
No, I never had anyone I was comfortable about talking to about the dark corners of my life. I would definitely be a different person right now if someone encouraged me to be more social, or even if they just created a strong relationship with me. I would have had someone to practice socializing with, and perhaps a person who I could communicate with about pieces of my life that were confusing. When/If I ever have children, I will remember what went wrong with my childhood.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a childhood friend who is 4 years older than me who i always tried to be like. He was smart and had the looks to go with that. Unfortunately i have neither and now that has really messed me up.

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
The only role models I had growing up were the fictional characters I made up. And to be honest, those are still the only role models I have. I don't tend to look up to "real" people that much, because when I realize how fallible they are, I get dreadfully disillusioned.

I don't think that having a role model would have helped me not develop SA. Instead, what I really could have used was a stable and reliable support network. I had a close friend, but she moved away when I was around twelve...which was when my SA started to develop. I never made another friend as close as she'd been. And I think that really negatively affected me. I didn't have somebody I felt free to share the most important parts of myself with, so I learned to just hide everything away, even from later friends (who weren't as close). I didn't have anybody I could really turn to for encouragement or empathy or support...I just kind of had to drag myself through it alone. And needless to say, I didn't emerge completely intact. :(

·
Registered
582 Posts
No. I never really had any role models. I don't feel I had anyone around me who I thought I could imagine being similar to in the future. I do sometimes wish I had met somebody who was weird but comfortable in their weirdness.

Well to be honest I'm still hoping I'll meet them :)

·
Chlorine and Wine
12,105 Posts
Hell no. If I had, like, anyone, I wouldn't be in this mess.

·
Patron St. of Mediocrity
3,188 Posts
I had a perfect role model.

And that role model...was Al Bundy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Come to think of it, Goku was a great role model. To this day i still believe i will become a super saiyan some day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts