Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Writer
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I distinctly recall how i felt i was 40 when i was just 18. In fact i remember being ashamed i did not have a sexual experience at 18, and this formed some (not all) of the conscious reason i attributed my anxiety to when some girl approached me at university.

I am sure many people with SA feel old when they are very young. This thread is about hinting to them that they should resolve this issue now, else it will be harder in the future to find a solution.

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
Yes, when I was young and in a dysfunctional and poor family, I had to skip childhood and grew up too quickly.

Now I'm already burned out before 40 and feeling like a musuem piece.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I was 16 I felt like an adult. All the teachers said I was very 'mature'.

Now I'm 24 I feel like I'm 16. I have no social skills what so ever, beyond simple pleasantries. I also have less of a life than I did at 16.

·
Registered
28,013 Posts
I've always had the personality of a 35 year old. Kind of grumpy and low energy. I hear people talk about how when they were young they could party all night and still show up for work, no problem. I have never been able to do that.

·
Bye SAS
1,774 Posts
Yes, I'm only 19, but when I was in my younger teens I used to feel very old. But not alive old, more like dead old lol.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
I've always felt old. Even when I was 17 I felt old and didn't enjoy birthdays.

I think it's because I always felt like I was behind where I should be for someone my age.

Today, if I had 2 kids and wife I wouldn't feel so old. *sigh* I've got to hurry up and impregnate someone. If I had been less cautious in the past I would already have children.

·
Registered
96 Posts
When I was younger I felt like I was older. Now I'm older and I feel like I'm younger. :afr

·
SAS Member
2,118 Posts
Nope - didn't feel old then, don't feel old now. However, ever since high school I can recall hanging around with others who thought they were old because they appear to constantly be comparing themselves to people younger than themselves. I choose to keep to myself nowadays thanks to my introversion, but at work I still hear people in their late 20s/30s going on and on about feeling old, which makes me even happier that I choose to spend my spare time alone as being around people constantly moping and whining about feeling old would just drain me.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have the life experience of a child and the zest for life of one of the geriatrics I see staring out the window at the local convalescent hospital.

·
silver
127 Posts
No not really. I always felt younger/like a child, especially as a teenager. Its not just me saying it, one of my much older cousins commenting on it few years ago.

Having said that I do recall when I was about 9 or 10, my mom/auntie saying that I was responsible and would never lead my younger cousins astray. Come to think of it its probably not my maturity at all, but my natural suspicion of people, which would morph into my SA as a teen.

sda

·
Registered
576 Posts
I think how old one feels can vary from moment to moment. I have always tended to feel old, even ancient. But now I can't believe I'm 48. Part of me protests and insists I must be much younger.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts