Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
like in a job interview, or while you are a work, etc... Tell your story and tell how he/she reacted

·
Sassy
2,222 Posts
I once mentioned it to my boss at an internship. It was a required internship, and she had to fill out a progress report for my professor. She had mentioned that I didn't "show pride" in my work. So I just told her that yes, I do take pride in my work, but I have some anxiety issues that prevent me from expressing it. I thought it was important, especially since she got that kind of impression.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
No! I have to make a serious effort to hide it.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
I didn't tell my very first boss because I hardly had any contact with them.
My last boss, yes, I told him and her, as I had two bosses. A very nice couple.
They both seemed to take it very well. I already didn't work the cash register very often and I worked part time, so I really didn't need anything changed, but they asked if they could change anything to make it easier for me to work. All I asked was that they excuse me if I got a little overwhelmed and disappeared into the little staff room sometimes. I did it already, sometimes and never had a problem.
I miss that job. I doubt any other employers would be as sympathetic and willing to help. Also, they kept it to themselves, they didn't tell other workers and never discussed it with anyone else around.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
They may not hire you if you said something like that. They don't know about SA.

They have no business knowing. Use this knowledge to your advantage. :)

·
Registered
807 Posts
I agree with the Hell Nos. SA/shyness (even introversion) is seen as a negative trait by employers. You'd be viewed as someone who will not be a "team player". Telling them will send you to the front of the pink slip queue if you're already working or to the trash bin if you're looking for work.

·
Spread Your Wings
1,512 Posts
Erms..no. Even though i'm officially diagnose with it. They won't even let you in the jobs if I do that.

·
Trapped in my own head
113 Posts
I only told my most recent boss after he pointed out that I was quite reserved. It turned out to be a good move because he used to be in the same boat and now he's the CIO of my department.

·
Registered
91 Posts
They accept it as part of my depression diagnosis, which counts as a disability, and for which I receive reasonable adjustments. They understand that I try my best to work around my symptoms, and that there are certain situations where I reach beyond my limits to cope.

·
Lost
342 Posts
ha at a job interview? no way...especially if it says strong communication skills required as most good jobs do actually.

I wanted to tell my manager at my last job, but he wouldn't understand and I'd just feel silly. I just had to say that the job was boring and it wasn't what I expected, when the real reason I quit was because of social anxiety!

·
Registered
867 Posts
no, but i think i should have after i was working there for a while, cause then he could have been more accommodating and let me ask him questions via email instead of in person which i have problems doing.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts