Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Junior year of high school. My social anxiety was at a higher point than now. I didn't know anyone at my school or talk to anyone. I was sitting in my novel class and I can't exactly remember what happened, probably someone made a little remark about me being quiet and never talking.. then a couple people laughing. But I asked to go to the bathroom and once I got in there I fell apart. I was fed up with feeling completely alone and forced to go to this place every day where people would judge me and make cruel remarks when I wasn't doing anything to bother them, just keeping to myself. Even teachers seemed to pick favorites. I had to get out of there, so I left the bathroom with tears streaming down my face, and kids in the hallway all stared at me as I walked by... I walked out the door and went home. and didn't go back to school for the rest of the year (about 3 months).

I switched to a different school for my senior year. Where I didn't talk to anyone either. but i couldn't handle going back after that.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I can't think of any particular SA-related story that stands out but I know I've cried in public before. It's embarrassing. I hate crying in front of people.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm quite anti-crying but unfortunately for me panic attack often results in crying. So, one of the worst times? Probably when I was giving a presentation to tutorial group at uni.

·
SAS Membr
1,082 Posts
The only time I've ever cried in public was when I had to leave my girl after living with her for two months. I was on a public bus, but I didn't care what people were thinking.

Of course that has nothing to do with SA...

·
Your Assumptions
7,027 Posts
Whenever I cry in public I manage to hide it, but I've cried openly in front of people at university. One was a lecturer, and I cried because I was too anxious to give a presentation. He didn't say a word to me and so I just walked out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ugh, when I went on a class trip to China, I ended up crying in public a couple times, and both living and reflecting on the experience was mortifying. We were on a small train for about 13 hours with tons of people, and I ended up on a top bunk where I couldn't lift my head up and felt generally exposed and vulnerable. Nobody on the trip knew I had social anxiety either, so my crying seemed even more bizarre to everyone.

I've also had an anxiety attack in front of a professor after a stressful day and teared up during a class because I felt so alone. Seriously, I *hate* crying in public. Nothing is more embarassing or upsetting, but sometimes I just can't help it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm too self-conscious to cry in public. I'm certain I've had moments where I was on the verge of tears, but I would stifle until I could get a moment to myself to let loose.

I kinda wish I COULD cry in public. Damn self awareness!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Oh far, far too often.

Actually that is my reaction to being 'put on the spot'. For example, when I was in school (nursing school, dropped out because of the SA) I dreaded everyday because I had this math teacher who KNEW how hard it was for me to speak in class, he knew how i reacted, AND he knew I was just plain terrible at math, which made it all worse.

He used to purposely ask me a question, knowing that I can't even speak when everyone is looking at me like that, and then he would keep bugging me to talk, and then make some comment like "oh, maybe she will answer us later".

I would get so worked up during this time I would have my head down, trying to hide my face with my hair because I would be crying like a child.

Embarrassing and yet, I can't help it. Worst part? I was 27 years old at the time.

/sigh

And that happened at least 3x a week in any given class, but his was the worst, my other teachers stopped bugging me after awhile.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I was really bad the first time I was ever left alone at an air port. It was the end of last summer my sister was dropping me off. Every other time I'd ever flown someone in my family went through security and waited with me until I got on the plane but that particular time I had to go through alone. I remember building myself up on the way to the airport, "it'll be fine, I'll be ok, it'll be great. I won't even be there long." and then the minute she left me standing alone in the airport security line I lost it, crying and shaking. It was the only time I've ever felt claustrophobic in my life standing so close to all those people in line lol.

I've also started crying in class a couple times but always managed to cover it up.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Once, I had just left the grocery store and got in my car when I had an anxiety attack, luckily there was no one around at the time. I stopped going to grocery stores after that for 6+ years.

·
Confused
735 Posts
I cry on the bus home when I've had another ****ty SA day. It's funny cos whith SA I usually worry so much about what people think etc, but when I'm crying I really don't give a [email protected]
Exactly. Once the floodgates open, the emotions takes complete control and SA just seems to 'disappear'. The emotions when crying take priority in the brain, and SA has nowhere to stand. But when I 'realized' that I cried in public, my SA came back and I felt like a useless idiot for breaking down in the presence of others. So yeah, I agree, crying does get rid of SA. I just wish I could hold onto that state of mind for a little longer.

·
Half way there
428 Posts
No. Never in public. I'd be too embarrassed. I'm a guy and men aren't supposed to cry.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
- 11 years old, the first day of secondary school (highschool) during which I met my classmates that I would be seeing everyday for the next six years. It was a kind of introductory meet n greet "fun" day where we got to try out cool science experminents and play get-to-know games with each other. By the end of the day everyone else already had a little group of mates and I had no-one. As we filed out of the building to go meet out parents I walked behind everyone else, alone, and started sobbing as soon as I met my mother at the front gate, with all of my classmates watching. Parents and pupils were all supposed to go for a final meeting in the school hall but we just went straight home.

- A few years ago when a woman came up to me in a shopping mall trying to sell me chinese herbal remedies and told me I had bad skin and a bad heart because I was sweating too much (she shook my hand which was clammy because I was so nervous talking to her). She insinuated I was dirty and unhealthy. I was with my brother at the time, we went and sat in a cafe and I cried for about 20 minutes.

- I cried recently at college after my mum called me to tell me my grandmother had died.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Nope, thus no story.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts