Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well? and also, is that useful information for her? What about a more general 'I socialize on the internet' referring not just to here but anything else like internet gaming friends?

·
Maybe?
2,598 Posts
Couldn't hurt. Online socialization could be a useful topic to discuss, especially if you're involved in communities and also have anxiety there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If she's like mine, she'll want full details.
Mine already lurks my FB page which I'm fine with ( i asked her to be my friend thinking it would lend some fast track to the elusive real me) but sometimes I like to come here to discuss therapy without worrying that she'd poke around here in a few off moments.
But that's me. On the other hand, she would say the more you share the better, I'd guess.
What would be your reason to not tell her?

·
6,040 Posts
I did. I am pretty open. I was told it's better than nothing in terms of filling in time and feeling less lonely, but I should not rely much on it cause it can have negative effects on my mental health. Like having lots of people start complaining there is no hope left and we should all just kill ourselves(which does happen a lot in here) and that will surely not help my long time depression or keep me motivated trying to recover.

He also said I should stop getting too involved and trying to offer help or advices cause people can only help themselves. They will do that when they really think they can no longer stay in their current state. Cause most will complain about their awful condition in an exaggerated way, but when it will come to actually do something about it, they will not. And that is only because despite what they are saying, they are still comfortable enough in their current state.

I was recommended to try some way of finding real life friends or, at least, a forum that is not dedicated to mental health issues.

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did and she warned against it.
She was worried this place or any mental health forum could drag me down.
Wanted me to limit my time here to an hour a day lol
Lol an hour a day? I could never handle limiting my time here that much.

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't. Then you might worry about her finding out who you are and checking up on your posts. And if she says something weird, you couldn't ask people's opinions about it on here.
Yeah, cuz I tell this forum a lot more than I'm so far willing to tell her. I would freak out if I came in for the next session and she was like 'why didn't you tell me X, we need to talk about that!'

·
Registered
877 Posts
I don't see the issue bringing it up. It's not like you have to tell her the forum name or anything. If it's relevant to issues you want to work through then why not bring it up? If you're worried that she may check this site for your posts or something, I doubt that she would to be honest...but you could always keep it vague by saying you talk to other people with similar issues on a forum online and leave it at that. No one is forcing you to give anymore information than that and if she tries to get more details than you'd like to share, just say you aren't comfortable discussing the site in detail.

·
Registered
85 Posts
when i actually go to a therapist if they ask i might bring it up and ask about other places like this that i can go to get help, i really just want to find/ make some friends who experience the same things as me and who understand what its like..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts