Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to 2 different people, i never felt like either of them really understood where i was coming from when i would describe how i felt, and they would give me little worksheets on how to relax and breathe and stuff. never felt like i found a therapist that understood and could actually help. any better experiences? lol

·
pain helps a lot
141 Posts
this has been my experience with the 2 therapists i've had. it's just a job to them i guess and they don't care as much as we expect them to. maybe we just need to find way better therapists.lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have had CBT on a one to one basis with a psychologist but that didn't do the trick. Then I had CBT group therapy which was suppose to go for 10 weeks but I walked out halfway through the first session because I got very panicky sitting in the same small room as 10 other people. I couldn't handle it when they asked questions and they would go around the room and everyone had to answer, it was terrifying, i was shaking and sweating and I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

·
Hear, See , Be silent
1,421 Posts
I have had CBT on a one to one basis with a psychologist but that didn't do the trick. Then I had CBT group therapy which was suppose to go for 10 weeks but I walked out halfway through the first session because I got very panicky sitting in the same small room as 10 other people. I couldn't handle it when they asked questions and they would go around the room and everyone had to answer, it was terrifying, i was shaking and sweating and I couldn't get out of there fast enough.
This is why I don't see how group therapy works...... put us in a room with a **** load of strangers then make us answer questions in front of them all :no

·
blessed with lucky sevens
840 Posts
What a death trap.

·
alien monk
8,555 Posts
my therapists have been awesome

·
Registered
228 Posts
i've only gone a couple times, but i feel like it's helped me.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I went to only one session and my assumptions were right - therapy didn't help. I don't need someone to ask me questions and rephrase my answers; I need someone to provide me with a solution. And I don't think therapists can really do that.

·
Banned
393 Posts
I've only tried it once and it didn't help. At all. I'm doing better myself. But for someone who doesn't have any support, it may help. I had my family and they are super supportive so i didn't need that. I needed some extra help which i didn't get. It's all about exposure anyway.

·
Solitary Confinement
130 Posts
I was in therapy for eight months and I felt worse after those eight months than before I started. Maybe I didn't have enough willpower to make it work, or maybe my therapist wasn't any good. I don't know, but I really don't want to try therapy again.

Therapy made my anxiety worse because I had to face all of the situations that cause my anxiety. Up to that point, I managed to keep my anxiety under control by simply avoiding the situations that caused it. I know this is the wrong thing to do, but this strategy allowed me to keep my anxiety down to a modest level. My therapist made me do homework assignments that resurrected all these terrible feelings of fear and dread that I had suppressed for so long. I remember going to a social event with the assignment of initiating a five minute conversation with someone. I ended up not talking to anyone, leaving early, and feeling absolutely horrible about myself afterward.

I know that the only way to overcome this disorder is to face my fears and overcome them. It just seems impossible to me. CBT supposedly helps us think differently--more rationally--about situations so that we respond and behave in better ways. I already know how irrational my behavior is. I can tell myself all I want how irrational my social anxiety is, but that does not change the way I feel when entering those situations. These feelings come from my subconscience, and it takes a long time to change subconscious feelings.

·
Single
347 Posts
I was in therapy for eight months and I felt worse after those eight months than before I started. Maybe I didn't have enough willpower to make it work, or maybe my therapist wasn't any good. I don't know, but I really don't want to try therapy again.

Therapy made my anxiety worse because I had to face all of the situations that cause my anxiety. Up to that point, I managed to keep my anxiety under control by simply avoiding the situations that caused it. I know this is the wrong thing to do, but this strategy allowed me to keep my anxiety down to a modest level. My therapist made me do homework assignments that resurrected all these terrible feelings of fear and dread that I had suppressed for so long. I remember going to a social event with the assignment of initiating a five minute conversation with someone. I ended up not talking to anyone, leaving early, and feeling absolutely horrible about myself afterward.

I know that the only way to overcome this disorder is to face my fears and overcome them. It just seems impossible to me. CBT supposedly helps us think differently--more rationally--about situations so that we respond and behave in better ways. I already know how irrational my behavior is. I can tell myself all I want how irrational my social anxiety is, but that does not change the way I feel when entering those situations. These feelings come from my subconscience, and it takes a long time to change subconscious feelings.
Thats what I don't like about CBT as treatment for SA. I'm conscious of how irrational my thoughts are when entering a anxiety-provoking situation, but it still doesn't help the fact that I feel fearful or if I have some underlying issues that I haven't acknowledged.

Most of the time, I don't even have automatic thoughts when entering a social situation. I just feel afraid for no reason. Thats why I think psychodynamic therapy can be more helpful in bringing unconscious thoughts to the surface, and for the long term treatment of SA.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Not really. I helped myself...and my religion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Therapist didn't help me either, went for 2 months or so and I promise the guy had to just be beating his time in because he asked me the same questions for the first month. Then we started on the CBT and I realized he wasn't going to help me any and the money I was spending on him wasn't coming easy. I came away knowing that I do in fact have SA :um and how to breathe the correct way when I feel anxious..:roll

I wanted to take medication for the SA but he advised me that it could effect my career. I'm becoming a helicopter pilot for emergency response and he said that the company hiring me would look down on me taking medicine so I'm stuck dealing with it the best I can, which is avoid everything but class.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thats what I don't like about CBT as treatment for SA. I'm conscious of how irrational my thoughts are when entering a anxiety-provoking situation, but it still doesn't help the fact that I feel fearful or if I have some underlying issues that I haven't acknowledged.
Same here.

My current psychologist/counselor is an intern (since a certain amount of counseling is included in our tuition fees) and he just seems to be reiterating what I'm going through. He's a very generous/nice fellow, but I don't feel as though it's helping anything. I know what/why I think the way I do, just not how to alter it in the long run. The good thing is that I was able to acquire a referral for a psychiatrist (have to have a referral in order to see an on campus psychiatrist) in order to possibly try medicine and have a more solid form of therapy to help in the long run.

Therapist didn't help me either, went for 2 months or so and I promise the guy had to just be beating his time in because he asked me the same questions for the first month. Then we started on the CBT and I realized he wasn't going to help me. I came away knowing that I do in fact have SA :um and how to breathe the correct way when I feel anxious..:roll
I feel the same way! I've been seeing my therapist since early September.

The breathing ordeal just feels like something to add to my anxiety because I have to focus on getting that down right with the worry of others noticing it :bash

It just sucks because I want the CBT to work and applying it daily, but...:no.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i went to 2 different people, i never felt like either of them really understood where i was coming from when i would describe how i felt, and they would give me little worksheets on how to relax and breathe and stuff. never felt like i found a therapist that understood and could actually help. any better experiences? lol
I've also seen two...the first one had to look up in a book what social anxiety was...I figured that was a bad sign. ;p The other one is okay, but I don't really feel like I get a whole lot out of it. He seems to focus on a lot of things that are not high priority issues to me, rather than focusing on my social anxiety.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Once I found out I had SA, it helped - that was with my second doctor. My first doctor know I was anxious, but it was never completely pinpointed to SA at the time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts