Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Out there...
5,124 Posts
I started living by myself when I was your age, 18. I had family issues, so as soon as I graduated high school, I had to bolt. My half-sister took me in for a while, but then our lifestyles clashed and I was kind of forced out. With no one that wanted to take me in, my dad found me a place for myself. That is how I got started, so in a way I lucked out.

I just moved a few months back to nearby Jesey from New York (I guess you could call that out of state? haha). I'm finally starting to be on my way up. I just wish I could progress faster.

So yeah, DO IT. Better to take the risk and try, even if it doesn't ultimately work out. Trust me, I think you'll be glad that you at least made the attempt.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've always sort of thought that moving to a different state would get the ball rolling for me. Here, at my parents house, I'm in my comfort zone and I absolutely do not want to leave it..so I don't.

BUT! If I moved, and didn't have the amount of enabling support that I do here, I wouldn't have a choice but to... live!... Right?

I've been thinking of moving in with my long-distance boyfriend in another state. He's looking for an apartment based on his salary alone, and I'm sure my parents would help support me for a limited time so I could find a job.

I've always been too scared to do ANYTHING in my area, and I think part of that is because... I know people here. If I make a devastatingly huge mistake here, someone I know might find out or witness it!

I'll have a hard time finding work, as I never went to high school and I STILL haven't gotten my GED (too scared to go to the college here, but I know I'll have to get it soon), and I'm scared ****less of how often I'm going to have to see his family, but...

TL;DR: Has anyone moved out of state/city, despite having crippling social anxiety, and done better? Is a fresh new start helpful or just terrifying?
When I moved out and left for college, I was extremely terrified because I was leaving my comfort zone and the few people I felt comfortable around. But being around strangers helped me in a way because there was no stigma attached to me as there was back home. At home I felt like I couldn't be more outgoing and talkative because I had been reserved and hardly ever talked around the people there my whole life.
Overall, I would say moving out has helped my social anxiety. At least I can approach and talk to people now even if I am still extremely awkward during the conversation. lol.

My only advice to you if you do decide to move out is to make sure you have a job lined up beforehand. You do not want to be starting a new life and have money issues right off the bat.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My very first semester in college I went abroad to Greece. In a lot of ways, it was a horrible experience SA-wise, and my anxiety caused me to do a lot of stupid things. BUT, I feel that by pushing my comfort levels, I really grew as a person and learned a lot about myself and my anxiety.

Before I left home, I never really DID anything to cause anxiety. I just sort of sat at home and let my parent take care of all the "scary" parts for me. Now that I'm living on my own, in another state, I'm finding that it's a lot easier for me to confront situations that make me anxious. Because I know that I HAVE to. And, yes, I think that has helped me a lot.

I'll go home now, and my parents will say things like, "wow! You do THAT now? I remember when you were so weird about THAT! You're growing up/I'm so proud of you/generic parental encouragement."

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I'd say go for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts