Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just today, an elder (female) coworker and I happened to be walking next to each other at roughly the same pace. The coworker said sorry and that she wasn't following me. I responded by saying that maybe I was the one following her as a joke (which if I remember, she took it as that). But I then took it a step further by saying that I actually was stalking her, then clarified that I was only joking. The coworker did respond. And while I can't remember it all, I do remember the coworker saying something about not being offended.

I'm beginning to think I went too far and that I shouldn't have said what I had said. And that in hindsight, what I said was in poor taste.

But at the same time, I don't know.

For some context, I've known the coworker for over a year. We're not close and don't talk to each other too much, but we have bantered before. And the age difference is probably 20 years.

Did I go too far? Or am I just taking this too seriously?

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,843 Posts
She was probably just not in the mood to joke around at the time, you shouldn't worry yourself over it to much. She probably understood it was a joke.

·
Super Moderator
34,614 Posts
IMO, it's dicey territory to do things like that. Especially with coworkers. But I frankly don't like "banter" anyway and just find it obnoxious, crude and rude. I know it's everywhere these days and frankly, it's just one more reason I avoid people.

·
Irretrievably Lost
2,501 Posts
It's hard to say without having been there but I don't think what you said was over the top or rude or anything, especially if it was part of ongoing banter. I wouldn't have been offended by it.

Reactions: mt moyt

·
Super Moderator
8,452 Posts
The first line of the joke was ok, if you knew your coworker and the banter. The second line I do think it might be a bit unsettling. I would be if someone said it to me. Unless it's a close friend.

Reactions: RSxo

·
Banned
150 Posts
Depends, as long as you’re a friendly stalker I think it’s ok 😂. And no, that’s a common thing to say that you kinda-sorta know and you’re trying to put them at ease. It’s ironic, but it’s common don’t worry about it

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much. But it is a reminder to be careful with your words when dealing with co-workers. In every office, there's some that can't take a joke.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts