Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't reply if you say your Depression got better. I want to know if it helped anyone with their Social Anxiety.. I mean. did it help you feel better at all?

Doctor prescribed me Prozac today and now i'm reading on websites that SSRI's can't help with Social Anxiety. (yes i know i can take MAOIS and benzos and stuff, but doctors dont want me to, and i dont want to. I'm still a teen). Did anyone get cured from Prozac? :(

Anyway. If any SSRI, like Prozac or Zoloft, helped you with your Social Anxiety, please post and tell me your experiences.

· Registered
520 Posts
Yes without a doubt. Paroxetine first and by far the most effective for Social Anxiety for me. Then sertraline. Paroxetine was very smooth, chill, fun loving, easy going, layed back, and promoted confidence without worrying about a hitch, while sertraline created some more general anxiety but at the same time more energy and an outgoing/extroverted type of confidence while still getting rid of the worry of things. I have a handful of long posts I have made about both if you are definitely interested in detailed info at least from my experiences you can def search em out if you want. ;)

Add caffeine to paroxetine and you get the best of both worlds.

· Registered
26 Posts
Took different types of them for more than 7 years and usually the upped me towards the max dosage because I seem to be rather chemical resistant.

Never helped at ALL with my Social Anxiety.

They, did however CAUSE at times, psychosis, depression, somnolence and other unpleasantries.

So unless people are seriously depressed and simply need something to numb their feelings and mood or have OCD, SSRIs aren't going to help you, period. Unless you're lucky enough to experience some placebo effects...

· Amazing
363 Posts
Helped with physical symptoms like histamine reactions, stomach aches, teeth clenching and hyperventilating. I still need to use strategies and it's not a magic bullet, but it helps a bit. You may need to try different drugs and doses, but it helps too. I'm on 40mg Celexa right now, and it seems to work for me. I say give it a shot. But still use your strategies. Good luck!

· Registered
2,661 Posts
They, did however CAUSE at times, psychosis, depression, somnolence and other unpleasantries.
I'd question whether the SSRIs caused your psychosis. People often link certain drugs and psychosis (such as cannabis and stimulants) but there's a big difference between correlation and causation. I do not believe they are capable of causing disorders like schizophrenia, but merely exacerbate symptoms in people already halfway there.

Of course this is 100% anecdotal, but there have been times lasting several weeks when I smoked weed heavily (~1/4 oz a week), took dopaminergic stimulants (Ritalin, Nardil) and did over a gram of ketamine a day, but never once developed even the slightest psychosis once it wore off. Even when on the stuff, nothing but a near-anaesthetic dose of K would separate me from reality.

It's probably wise to avoid these types of drugs if you already show early predictors of psychosis, like paranoia, superstition, hearing voices or other schizotypal stuff.

Speaking of schizophrenia, check these articles out:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/6l75t50w6537w1k0/
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=17154743
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15268640

They now think it's caused by an infection at birth. Soon I think D2 antagonists will be replaced by glycine agonists or some sort of kyunerine synthesis inhibitor (maybe COX-2 inhibitors too), and this whole misinformed psychosis reason for banning cannabis will be irrelevant.

Another ill-informed idea in schizophrenia is the milk-restricted diet, which apparently works by reducing casomorphin, the evil opioid in milk. Of course, there is the small fact that opioids aren't known to worsen symptoms, and that milk contains a large amount of tryptophan, the precursor to kynurenic acid (thought to be the primary cause of psychotic symptoms). Another case of correlation being presented as causation, in this case to demonise opioids.

· Registered
2,404 Posts
Psychosis? Come on? You never had any symptoms of schizoaffective disorder, took an SSRI and got psychotic? Did you have to stay in a psychiatric ward or a hospital for some days? Did they give you antipsychotics and the symptoms resolved? I would belive it if the drug was a dopaminergic / dopamine agonist, but why should an SSRI make non-psychotic guys "real weird". ;)

· Banned
115 Posts
I am on Celexa and it is helping with my Social Phobia. Basically, it makes me more calm and seems to help me think more rationally.

I have tried Paxil, Lexapro, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Seroquel, Ativan, Klonopin, and Xanax as well. The Celexa is by far the most helpful med of all of these for daily chronic Social Anxiety.

The benzo's help but I wouldnt really recommend them for long term/high dose treatment. Benzo's are invaluable for anxiety but it seems they end up causing more problems with long term high dose treatment.

· crazy
2,293 Posts
Everybody will respond differently to different drugs - there's no need to assume that any positive effect is just due to placebo affect.

Paroxetine definitely helps quiet down all the negative thoughts for me - I notice if I skip it accidentally or on purpose, the next day or two I'll start feeling more self-conscious, and it gets harder for me to go out of my apartment. I think I look uglier, and all my clothes look worse, and it's harder to pass people on the street.

As for social anxiety, it does seem to help with staying calmer in social situations, though overall I still have social anxiety - I still have a lot of issues in dealing with people - I'm introverted, and learned all these weird ways of interacting with people that I'm working on unlearning, so I still avoid getting to know people on a long-term basis.

· Registered
520 Posts
Yeah the only things that ever gave me psycho symptoms were things that messed with dopamine. Antipsychotics especially made me an aggressive maniac. where i am naturally an easy going fun loving person. go figure. maybe that's why though actually.

maybe he just meant was the ssri made him feel like he was goin out of his mind from all the numbness and side effects.

· Memorial Profile
38,514 Posts
...there's no need to assume that any positive effect is just due to placebo affect.
Of course, SSRIs can & do work for some people, but there is a huge placebo effect. Look at any study done by drug companies (who have clear incentive to publish the best studies and bury the rest) and even they show a huge placebo effect. Typically you'll see things like 60-70% improving on the SSRI, but then 30-35% on a sugar pill reported improvement. "Twice the efficacy of nothing" isn't a very compelling ad slogan.

I've also many times pointed out that there is no such thing as a "double blind" trial. When you take a mystery capusule for 10 days and then find that you can't orgasm at all when you previously could it's not real hard to figure out that you got the real drug in that clinical trial, so it's hardly blind to you or to the doctor when you report this blatantly obvious side effect. A trial can only truly close to blind if you're dealing with a drug that has very few & very mild side effects such that it's not obvious.

· immortal in the making
927 Posts
when i first started citalopram (on only a 10mg dose), the next day i felt a serious bout of hypomania. to be fair, i've theorised i may be bipolar for quite some time, if that has anything to do with it? but i personally found that a good thing.
i'm uncertain as to the positive effects of taking this drug (now on 40mg), but i think that the stresses i'm feeling at work are hindering my progress. not that they give a toss. they only care about themselves there. when i have time off, i do seem to be a little better than what i used to. still waiting to go to town on my own again to find out. so in short, i'm really not sure. or something. i'm sorrry

· Registered
520 Posts
when i first started citalopram (on only a 10mg dose), the next day i felt a serious bout of hypomania. to be fair, i've theorised i may be bipolar for quite some time, if that has anything to do with it? but i personally found that a good thing.
i'm uncertain as to the positive effects of taking this drug (now on 40mg), but i think that the stresses i'm feeling at work are hindering my progress. not that they give a toss. they only care about themselves there. when i have time off, i do seem to be a little better than what i used to. still waiting to go to town on my own again to find out. so in short, i'm really not sure. or something. i'm sorrry
While I haven't been diagnosed, it's possible I am too bipolar and I also see this as a good thing if that happens to be the case. Because the med induced hypomania is a real treat.

· Registered
1,676 Posts
Took different types of them for more than 7 years and usually the upped me towards the max dosage because I seem to be rather chemical resistant.

Never helped at ALL with my Social Anxiety.

I don't doubt it. It is rare, but SSRI's can cause hallucinations, delusions, and even severe agitation, particularly in teens and in people with bipolar disorder have been incorrectly diagnosed with simple depression.

When I first started celexa I had transient hallucinations and mild euphoria, although I have had hallucinations unmedicated as well.

Back to the Original poster, yes, but only slightly.

· crazy
2,293 Posts
I've also many times pointed out that there is no such thing as a "double blind" trial. When you take a mystery capusule for 10 days and then find that you can't orgasm at all when you previously could it's not real hard to figure out that you got the real drug in that clinical trial, so it's hardly blind to you or to the doctor when you report this blatantly obvious side effect. A trial can only truly close to blind if you're dealing with a drug that has very few & very mild side effects such that it's not obvious.
Hmm, that's a good point - why don't they use a placebo that has a weird side effect but has been shown to have no effect on mood. That way all the participants would think they were getting the medicine. In which case the placebo effect would probably be stronger in the control group, which would make the actual drug look less impressive.

In other words, because "Financial support for this study was provided by SmithKline Beecham Pharmaceuticals, Collegeville, Pa."?

Hmm, yeah, probably so...

· Registered
2,661 Posts
Nothing wrong with hypomania, just watch out for it turning into mania.

· Registered
79 Posts
I made a temporary switch to Prozac after being on Zoloft for ages. My anxiety started to come back. So now I'm back on Zoloft. Hooray! :boogie

(I only switched because my depression started getting worse and my doctor thought I was developing a tolerance. A short break fixed everything.)

Of course, I've been going to therapy for several years. Medication can't cure SA alone.

ETA: I should probably mention that before meds, I was a major wreck that could only talk to a few people openly- this caused a lot of pain for several family members... It was hard for me to go to school some days.

Now I can fake my way through small talk, go out and meet new people if I at least kinda know one person there, and am capable of going to the mall by myself on a good day.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.