Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if I am actually developing schizophrenia or some other condition, but the past, say, 6 months have been quite suggestive of it. Some things that have been happening:

Hyperacusis in right ear - been to an ear doctor and was told the problem is psychological; hearing certain sounds at distorted levels because my brain is interpreting them as a threat and thus amplifies them to signal danger.

Delusions - sometimes I believe I'm something I'm not. I have been through so many roles; army officer, doctor, rockstar (not musically, just personality wise), hitman (this one happens when I get really paranoid and I sort of go into 'survival' mode). All of these roles don't come completely out of nowhere though, they usually related to what I'm doing, or what style of clothes I'm wearing. For e.g, I may slightly assume the role of a doctor after studying neuroscience; to confirm the role I may dress rather nerdish to add to the effect.

Another example is deluding myself to believing people are sitting on empty benches as I walk past them, and actually getting ready to talk to them.

And most recently, hallucinations - basically like conscious dreaming. Things like trees coming alive, hearing flies in my bedroom (really just the noises the central heating makes), hearing party noises and so on.

It's really difficult to tell what's going on, because there isn't really a clear borderline between schizophrenia and normality. I don't know whether to worry about it or not; when it gets really intense I worry that I'm losing who I am, but when it doesn't feel so intense I would laugh at the thought of being 'mentally ill'. I've been seeing a GP regularly, and whilst the term schizophrenia has never been mentioned, I have been prescribed risperdone and stelazine (took for the first time today - was really calm at first but now all over the place). Those are both schizophrenia prescriptions. I know my GP isn't a psychologist. I should probably see a psychologist?

·
insert witty comment here
6,235 Posts
I can't tell you if you are developing schizophrenia. I think that is the ultimate nightmare disgnosis and a lot of people worry about it although they are not schizophrenic at all. But whatever it is it sounds serious. You should see a psychologist or psychiatrist. ASAP.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts