Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last 2 weeks I have started to develop an automatic yes response to social situations. I read this somewhere, (I think this was on this forum but maybe not). So yeah if there is an event planned, i´ll be there !!!!!

Anyway I thought since I have SA I will put myself in as many social situations with as many new people. Instead of feeling shy all the time I will try and conquer my fears and give things a try.

Alot of avoidance in the past has only made the situation with my SA worse.

From my past pattern of thinking it seems that I always found a negative style of thinking: Everyone knows these on this forum.

For example you have being invited soemwhere ( it doesnt really matter where) but then the mind starts thinking: I wont know anyone there, or its too far, or the weather is like crap, or its too expensive, or don´t feel like sozialising.

Of course I am not implying that everyone has to be social all the time and do lots of things.

Of course this takes time when years of negativity and avoidance have played a strong part. BUT i think thats why its so hard to change because negativity causes a rut and then its really hard to climb out of this, to push forward.

Just wanted to see if others had tried this. Always going to a social situation no matter what. It feels good to be busy as well, then i find that I have less time to mope around the house and feel sorry for myself.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It's a good thing to do. At best it will do as you say, expose you to all ye fear, get you to stay active and not bugger around (< a very important thing I think man), and yeah, just help you to face these things every day so you get lots of chances to deal with yo SA in lots of different ways.

And at worst...

Eh, you tried something, maybe it didn't help, at least you tried.

So I say go for it, and as for other people trying it... I did. And you know for me it was hard to find alot of social situation once I started looking, or like they were everyday ones that I had already conditioned myself to (in a negative way.. =P) so it was tough for me... but man, I think ultimatelyt that was one thing that helped me alot. Always being willing to go into a social situation, and just give it a chance, open up to something new.

Tis a very good thing man, suerte buena.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts