Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i used to bite my nails purely from anxiety, and now i also do it out of habit... my nails are totally disgusting and i have no idea how to stop myself. i never bite them down to the quick, but i pick at the skin around them until it bleeds, which is just as bad if not worse. i tried that stuff you're supposed to paint on that makes them taste really bad so you won't want to bite them, but it's actually not clear, it's a weird color, so i haven't been using it. so to all the ex-nail-biters on the forums, what did you do to stop?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
since im not a guy this problem doesn't carry as much weight as if i was a girl but it is something i wish i could avoid. How to stop? Not sure. I also bite my toe nails lol not sure if anyone else does this.

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
since im not a guy this problem doesn't carry as much weight as if i was a girl but it is something i wish i could avoid. How to stop? Not sure. I also bite my toe nails lol not sure if anyone else does this.
i used to pick at my toenails, but i've never bitten them. lol

·
Geese
20,769 Posts
I used to bite mine a lot as well, It was actually through disgust at watching some guy on the train pick his nose then put his hand on the railing I was holding on to which made me stop biting them for good. Shock tactics!!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
i used to bite my nails purely from anxiety, and now i also do it out of habit... my nails are totally disgusting and i have no idea how to stop myself. i never bite them down to the quick, but i pick at the skin around them until it bleeds, which is just as bad if not worse. i tried that stuff you're supposed to paint on that makes them taste really bad so you won't want to bite them, but it's actually not clear, it's a weird color, so i haven't been using it. so to all the ex-nail-biters on the forums, what did you do to stop?
I used to do the same thing. I was so bad I was peeling them off in sheets exposing the actual nail BED. Bleed? Yes and infected sometimes. I was a wreck. Here is what I did to stop. It DID take me a few tries but last time, which was the 2nd or 3rd try it finally stuck.

1. I made a concious decision I was going to STOP. I wanted to stop. You sound like you are to that point too so THAT helps if you WANT to stop it.

2. I used Pepper sauce on all the finger tips. I hate pepper sauce so it reminded me to keep my fingers out of my mouth. You NEED that reminder everytime you do it.

3. Week #1:

Paint all your fingers EXCEPT YOUR THUMBS. You may chew on your thumbs all you want that first week but ONLY your thumbs.

Week #2:

Paint one whole hand, either left or right AND the thumb and the thumb on the other hand. You may chew on only the 4 fingers of one hand now for that week.

Week #3:

Paint all but one finger of the hand you chewed last week. You may chew ONE finger this last week but only ONE.

Week #4:

Paint ALL of your fingers.

Now you may have to repaint daily for each of the days you do this and maybe more than once a day. The Pepper sauce is just a reminder of what you are doing.

By gradually decreasing the number of allowed fingers to chew on you are weaning yourself of this habit. After week 4 just keep painting all your fingers everyday but you may not need to. It did take me a good month stop and I haven't chewed my nails for years now. I did break this awful habit.

I'm sure there are clear products you can use too. I did try them once and they were clear and tasted horrible. Let me take a look on-line and see what's available but you can ask at like a Walgreens. They'd probably have what I am talking about.

·
The way out is through.
171 Posts
I only got rid of it by picking up a new habit: twirling my hair. lol
The problem is once I quit one I have to start the other. I'm still working on it.

I used to do the same thing. I was so bad I was peeling them off in sheets exposing the actual nail BED.
Oh man the sheets, that's the worst. Especially when a sheet gets down to the root and you have to pull or bite it. Ugh it's so gross but I've been doing it for at least 10 years. My nails don't look too bad though, probably because I bite at the skin more than the actual nails.

My advice is to find a less destructive habit to replace it with. I've quit for a few months at a time before and that was how I did it. Good Luck.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I used to twirl then that progressed to hair tearing. I pulled out a lot of eyelashes and had many bald spots on my head when I was just a kid, under 10 or 12. I blame all this anxiety on my B*tch of a mother. She was horrible. :mum She was one of the cruelest, insensitive people I have ever known. I used to hide from her in other people's houses then I'd get in trouble for going out. We often had no heat so while hiding, where there was heat, I'd fall alseep a lot and be gone for hours. I used to steal food from my neigbors houses I was so hungry all the time. She witheld food and any kind of affection and was constantly telling me what a nuisance I was to her. No wonder I was trying to destroy myself. I was always fainting in school because I was starving. I wish someone had intervened and taken me away from her.

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used to twirl then that progressed to hair tearing. I pulled out a lot of eyelashes and had many bald spots on my head when I was just a kid, under 10 or 12. I blame all this anxiety on my B*tch of a mother. She was horrible. :mum She was one of the cruelest, insensitive people I have ever known. I used to hide from her in other people's houses then I'd get in trouble for going out. We often had no heat so while hiding, where there was heat, I'd fall alseep a lot and be gone for hours. I used to steal food from my neigbors houses I was so hungry all the time. She witheld food and any kind of affection and was constantly telling me what a nuisance I was to her. No wonder I was trying to destroy myself. I was always fainting in school because I was starving. I wish someone had intervened and taken me away from her.
omg... i'm so sorry... :hug

(on the plus side, i now feel like i have no reason to be anxious or stressed out, so maybe you've cured me. xD)

·
Yup.. it's me!
2,458 Posts
I used to bite my nails as well.. how I stopped is whenever I got the urge I went and got the clippers... and even a nail file... not having the jagged edge seem to help my need to bite them.... it worked but I moved on to the skin around my nails... mostly my thumbs and index fingers..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts