Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Fitting In Here & There
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Does anyone know a good website that will help me design my own website and have my own domain name? And is cheap? And doesn't involve HTML? Thank you very much! :D

·
MayTheForceBeWithYou
19,559 Posts
1 go to godaddy.com get your domain name, and web hosting
i got my domain name for 1.99

2 yes you might need to learn HTML. there are lots of free sources online to know the basic of html.

you could go get wordpress templetes which would allow you to view all sorts of things for your website.

if you need anymore help let me know.
ive been designing website since 1995. :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Pam,

There might be websites out there that takes you step by step. Just google for it.

Basically what you need to do is this.

1. Buy a domain (costs around $10 a year)
A popular place to buy is godaddy.com
avoid yahoo.com

2. Rent some space on the internet for your webpage (also known as webhosting) (costs around $10 a month)
A good place to buy space is hostgator.com

3. Build the website.
If you are building a small website you dont need to know html,asp,php,jsp or any of those.
These days people build small websites using CMS technique (component management system)
Two popular CMS people are drupal.com and joomla.com (they are both free).

Hope that helps.

I do website design (though not my primary occupation).

regards,
Jer

·
insert witty comment here
6,235 Posts
You could use MS Publisher to do the site. It's most likely on your computer as part of the MS package. It has lots of templates and you can change the colours and just about everything else too. No need to write code at all.

·
Registered
784 Posts
A few years ago I knew a musician who wanted to set up his own website. He ended up going with Network Solutions and bought one of their packages where they designed his website layout. A little pricey, but it worked well for him.

·
Day Of The Dead
945 Posts
For no HTML, there's.

Freewebs
Wix
Tripod

And others

·
Fitting In Here & There
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your advice.

I tried to look up how to do this a while ago and realized no way was I going to learn HTML! I don't have the patience or talent for that. But that was back when I didn't even know what a "domain name" was. (I'm old & ignorant)

I still don't know what other things mean, like, what exactly does "web hosting" mean? The reason I ask is: I joined an artists website once and they said I'd have my "very own page on the web" (for $8 a month). Well, that may have been true, but it was on THEIR website. So is that what hosting means? That I'm really part of someone else's website? Cuz I don't want that!

Jer--I don't want to rent space--I guess that is my problem (?) :blank

Torlin--I like photography too, and I'd like to put it out there so people can see it! Right now though, I was asked by my boyfriend's nephew if I knew how to design a website for his small home improvement business. That's why I was asking. But if I knew how, I'd do one for me too. :)

·
Fitting In Here & There
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could use MS Publisher to do the site. It's most likely on your computer as part of the MS package. It has lots of templates and you can change the colours and just about everything else too. No need to write code at all.
Thanks! I do have MSN and will check this out later! :D

·
Suit up!
390 Posts
Back when I was young and making websites I actually used programs that do all of the HTML for. I started with Frontpage and moved on to Dreamweaver. There you can create everything and it writes the code for you. It's understandable that you wouldn't want to bother learning HTML, but if you do end up making a website, then overtime I'm sure you'll end up learning things. It just sort of ... happens. My first website was on Geocities when I was 12 and I had no idea that HTML even existed now, but now it's like a second language to me.

In terms of setting up a webpage I'd look around. GoDaddy used to be the cheapest website for domains, but their prices have definitely gone up in years. I'm sure they're probably still pretty decent, but be sure to look for promo codes before buying from anywhere! Look at all the reviews for webhosts too and examine the plans that each website has. I've probably been with over five different companies so it's all about figuring out what's the best for you. A lot of places even offer you a free domain just for buying a package with them so look for that as well! I'm currently at webhostingbuzz.com and haven't had a single problem. I pay yearly because I'm weird, but I also got a great coupon for going with their site too. Just look around for deals and stuff! It's amazing what kind of coupons you can find for some sites. I even had one for $100 off in the past.

You also mentioned that someone offered you space at their website, which I think is one of the best things you can do if you're just starting at, especially if it's free. There's a lot of young web designers that have more than enough space and will offer hosting for their friends or strangers that apply for it and seem decent enough. No one will be able to get to YOUR site from theirs (unless they link them to it) so you are technically on your own.

·
crazy
2,067 Posts

·
Fitting In Here & There
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I ended up using Homestead. And I did it! I did a website for my boyfriend's nephew's business! But we still have to add photos... It's just a simple small brochure thing, he's not selling anything online, and all business is done in person.

If anyone's interested it's http://www.currierservices.com

Homestead is great & easy! A baby could do it!!! :D

·
Diggin' My Potatoes
415 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts