1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
1,137 Posts
I know what you mean.

I pick my scalp, usually on the back of my head so people can't really see it. But a while ago, my sister noticed it and said, "Wow, your scalp looks really red, and I see a scab. What happened!?" I lied and said, "I don't know. I didn't even notice it. Maybe the dog scratched me while I was sleeping." Then she noticed it again a few days ago and said, "Why is your scalp still red?" Again, I said, "I don't know" and quickly changed the subject. Now I just hope that she doesn't ask about it again. :(

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also pick at my head. It s tarted when I was a kid, and a couple of the scabs that I keep repicking must be 20+ years old. :( I keep trying to stop, but when I'm anxious, it makes me feel better. I hate even saying that, it sounds so gross.

I have about 8 places on my scalp that are always scabbed, but I don't think people notice. Maybe they do?

I really hate going to have my hair cut, but I go to the same woman every time and she thinks I have exzema (excema?) on my head. But I'm not pleased lately with the job she's doing, so I want to find someone new, but feel I can't because I'm so embarassed.

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
I pick my skin and I pick it worse when I am stressed. It sucks.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
I do this. I pick at my legs. I have to wear long pants in summer now, because they're starting to scar and it just is incredibly embarrassing.

I just need to hide my tweezers from myself or something. That's what I always hurt myself with (I have this fear of ingrown hairs, I think that's how all this started). I have tiny circular scars starting to form. I definitely do get into the zone and will keep at it for hours.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's good to hear someone else suffers this. I used to pick my hands, too. They look a little more normal now, but my fingertips I fear will be permanently pink and swollen, and my nails will never get longer because I won't let them.

Now I've switched focus to my feet. I am much harder on my feet than I was on my hands.. and yes, I'm very self conscious about them. It's getting close to summer, and there's no way I can wear sandals or open-toed shoes. The extra sweat + shoes rubbing will create more blisters and thus more to pick. I don't know.. what I'm going to do.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
307 Posts
Came here from the other thread. I've been doing this most of my life. I remember doing it when I was five. Always my fingers, thumb, and used to on my scalp. I knew I wasn't the only one who did it, but I didn't think just my father counted. Well, at least I know I'm not alone. I know I pick when I'm really stressed out. I had a friend that just drove me insane and I'd wind up bleeding walking around stores. The most anyone has ever said about it is that I'm extremely gross, even when I'm not bleeding.

·
Enemy Within
1,272 Posts
I also pick the back of my head, usually behind my ears, I just did it before visiting this thread now, I had some nasty some kind of bark like from dandruff (I really need to change that shampoo but I hate it, because I have became emotionally attached to that brand).

·
Sassy
2,222 Posts
I've been picking the skin around my fingernails for as long as I can remember. I've been doing it since before I had SA, but I tend to do it when I'm anxious/nervous, so they go hand in hand now. It's why I needed braces, because I used to pick at my fingers with my teeth, and they got all messed up. I work at my thumbs the most, and they're the ones that usually bleed.

As a kid I loved having scabs, because I could pick them off. I remember purposely scraping my knees on the ground to break the skin, hoping scabs would form. Even now, I'll feel my legs, arms, back, head, looking for tiny scabs, and I love picking them off. I bite my lips and the insides of my cheeks too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Same here. It's default behavior when I'm nervous. I usually don't even notice until my fingers or my lip start bleeding and someone else sees it. Cigarettes used to make it better, but I haven't managed to find a substitute since I quit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts