Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a strong feeling of 'unreality' that stems from my post-traumatic stress disorder. sometimes i'll be in class and i'm so in and out of my mind. i'll go from listening to getting sucked into my world. it's been making it difficult for me to find a significant connection to somebody on my campus because i always feel like i'm living behind a glass wall. it's been maddeningly isolating for me, and i don't know how to deal with my trauma.

i've got to wait until september to see my therapist again, so it's all me. (advice isn't a must, i'm just musing out loud).

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I am sorry you are going through this right now. I hope that your doctor will consider treatments specifically for dp/dr if resolving your traumas and anxieties is a long way off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if it gets too bad, i'll have to find a therapist in the area, but then i'll have to pay for each session and i just don't have the money for that. we'll see.

your well wishes are much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
duuuude

i feel you so hard

i wouldn't mind it so much if it didn't effect the way i process information, or my ability to recall information

in any event, you should look into maybe doing sessions with recent uni/college grads in your area

a lot of them do cheap sessions for experience

·
Byebye SAS.
2,957 Posts
I went through it in 11th grade in high school, total hell. it went on for 1 to 2 months. then i just ignored it, it's taking me awhile to recover you know, and this was like 4 years ago. I'm fiiiinally starting to get better with everything. it sucks, i guess it happens with anxiety, but i don't know my psychology as well as someone like me (whos experienced every strange thing) SHOULD.

·
Banned
8,760 Posts
I'm going through a lot of the same, I totally know what you mean about being sucked into your own world, and feeling like your behind a glass wall. I've had ptsd since I was a kid, from physical and emotional abuse, and it was all reinforced again, X 10, when I witnessed my girlfriend's suicide two years ago. I've been in several psych hospitals, and in lots of therapy, and on lots of meds, but nothing yet has really helped with the flashbacks. Therapist keeps telling me that it will get better if I keep talking about it.

I've had this weird ability to shut people out since I was like four years old or so. I mean, not just ignore people, like, shut people, the whole world out. Sometimes I can do it voluntarily and sometimes it just sort of happens. It's really frustrating when it just sort of happens, when I shut everything out for apparently no reason lol.

I hope you find some help for it. If you can't see a therapist until September, this might sound kinda lame, but you might try blogging or keeping a journal. I blogged for a while, almost every day back when my gf passed away, and it seemed to help a little.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it's nice to see other people relating to this.

i just don't know how to describe it. sometime it's almost tempting, alluring. i love escaping, especially when i need a reality check. withdrawing to my world allows me to elicit strong emotions, which reminds me that i can still feel and be in tune, y'know?

unfortunately, i think i'm so trapped in my own head sometimes that i'm finding it difficult to make a connection to people, especially back at my college.

i'm not sure if it's b/c i'm not finding the right people or what. it's not that i'm not even trying, either - i;m a member of a few clubs, i have two jobs that i really like, i'm active in my respective community...it just feels like, if i disappeared or quit going to my college, I wouldn't really be missed. the conversations i have feel very shallow, and they always revolve around the same topics, like what we want to do with our majors or social justice.

don't get me wrong, i love having those kinds of talks, but i need time to retreat and breathe. somebody who wants to hold me or actively check on me, and i'm not really getting that vibe from anybody. ugh.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts