Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
12,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently did some thinking about the time I was extremely depressed during my junior year of high school to the point where I contemplated suicide. My grades continued to get worse and worse and I found myself to become more and more mentally slow. At one point, it got so bad I lost all reading comprehension abilities. When senior year came, I took much harder classes but I got much better grades when my depression went away.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yea I'm not surprised, depression makes you loose a lot of focus. even if its doing something easy, everything seems harder when you're depressed

·
Registered
649 Posts
This makes sense. When I'm really depressed, I do a lot of daydreaming and staring out of windows. I lose all energy and motivation to do anything.

·
Banned
12,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This makes sense. When I'm really depressed, I do a lot of daydreaming and staring out of windows. I lose all energy and motivation to do anything.
For me it was more than just a motivation issue. Sometimes I got so depressed, I couldn't comprehend a thing I read no matter how hard I tried.

·
Registered
376 Posts
For me it was more than just a motivation issue. Sometimes I got so depressed, I couldn't comprehend a thing I read no matter how hard I tried.
Same here... when I get depressed I see things wrong and no matter how hard I try, I can't see things from another point of view, which imo is essential to reading comprehension.

·
Avoiding responsibilities
1,109 Posts
Social Anixety + Depression = Me becoming mentally slow and unfocused on even simple work, not to mention the lack of motivation

·
silver
127 Posts
Yes. I can understand depression sapping motivation. I can also understand SA (or anxiety) stopping you from committing things to memory.

But what bugs me is I find that my intelligence seems to be affected by Depression or SA or both. Which is bad because I work in a knowledge based job.

I hope its not permanent. I am worried it because I sometimes think its because of the meds I have been on for the last 15 years or so (Aurorix mainly).

·
Registered
412 Posts
That doesn't surprise me. I was always a straight A student, with an occasional B here or there, but when I entered high school and my anxiety and depression worsened, it became hard for me to get A's. I nearly failed a class my senior year.

·
Registered
259 Posts
When I was at my most depressed I was more easily frustrated, my grades were the worst they'd ever been and at times it seemed impossible to process information.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Though I haven't struggled as much with depression, I find that when I am most anxious, my thinking is drastically impaired. My mind becomes very cloudy, and it gets very hard to be as mentally sharp as I like to think I am much of the time. It's actually been one of the most frustrating parts of SA for me, as my intelligence has always been pretty important to me and a main source of self-esteem for much of my life.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I feel exactly the same way. Before becoming depressive (about 2 years ago) I only had difficulties to think rationally when i was in social situations, but now i cant concentrate on any thing all the time, no matter where I am or what I do. My mind is ****ing wasted, I suffer from memory loss and that makes me crazy. If i read a book, all the stuff i tried to learn is gone after a few minutes or at least the next day.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had the same issue in high school to the point of nearly failing several classes, I was a straight A student all through school until sophomore year. I wish I understood depression better back then. While the really dark depressions were obvious, sometimes I would simply feel bored, have a lack of interest in anything, no motivation, sleep all the time...everything felt harder to do, thinking was sluggish and fuzzy....I didn't even realise I was depressed during those times as well because I didn't exactly feel sad either, more like I felt nothing at all. I couldn't even summon enough interest to play my favorite videogames and watch tv....homework was damn well near torture.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts