Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever seen or heard of this happening. When i become majorly depressed i also lose about 90% of my thinking abilities. Any feedback would be great

·
avast ye landlubbers
2,055 Posts
Yes. I've noticed these effects in myself. Thinking of much else besides the thought/emotional process that maintains depression becomes very difficult, or impossible, during a major episode.

There's a term for this, pseudodementia. First observed in older people that might be suffering from dementia itself. Not limited to the elderly however, by far.

·
Registered
749 Posts
How do you define major depression? I know I'm depressed, but I'm not sure to what extent. Right now I feel like I can do my daily routine, but I can't do much else. And most of my daily routine consists of me sitting in bed and going online.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I absolutely agree. When I get really depressed, I can't focus or care about anything. It's like I fall into a dark seperate world away from everything else.

·
is trying.
714 Posts
I noticed this when I was an undergrad: I was an English major, and when I got really depressed, I couldn't even read.

·
My brain is numb
31 Posts
I have definetely noticed this too. It's as if my mind just goes blank and I find it very difficult to absorb or retain information. Whenever i'm lucky to be in a great mood It's as if i've been given someone elses brain during the " happy period" I also have major problems with word finding both while talking and writing. I do hope some research is being carried out in this area in general the pyschologists i've come across havn't got a clue what I'm on about

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Not only does it become difficult for me to think, form thoughts, and make decisions, but also sometimes it feels like nothing is real anymore and the things I'm doing, it feels like I'm not really doing them. I can even feel like I'm not really here. Sometimes the sleep world feels more real to me than the world when I'm awake.

·
Registered
623 Posts
yes this book i'm trying to go through at turtle with three legs rate wants me to provide rational responses to these deluded thoughts, but like you said rational thinking is kapoof during episodes :O You respond back to your journal while you're "sane", then the episode comes back and your sand castle gets washed away

It's saying change the way you think you change the way you feel, but the two go hand in hand so the ride is always going to be volatile no matter what. :mum

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
this is what happens to me exactly when I get into a really depressed mood. I never thought of it as losing my thinking abilities though, more like I just temporarily lose all motivation to do anything whatsoever, even things that aren't that mentally taxing like reading a magazine or playing a video game. when I'm really, really depressed, I can't do anything but lie in bed and think about how bad I feel, no matter how much I want to distract myself from feeling bad, it's just impossible. it's like all I want to do is be unconscious so I don't have to feel it anymore, but I can't even fall asleep because I'm in too much pain. it really sucks.

·
My brain is numb
31 Posts
Not only does it become difficult for me to think, form thoughts, and make decisions, but also sometimes it feels like nothing is real anymore and the things I'm doing, it feels like I'm not really doing them. I can even feel like I'm not really here. Sometimes the sleep world feels more real to me than the world when I'm awake.
When I dream it feels sometimes like that is my true reality, so i can really relate to you there. That's a first! I'd love to know how people deal with something so impossible...

·
Registered
65 Posts
When I dream it feels sometimes like that is my true reality, so i can really relate to you there. That's a first! I'd love to know how people deal with something so impossible...
dito!
Im feeling my dreams in such an emotional way whereas my real life is just passing by, day by day...

·
My brain is numb
31 Posts
Thank you :p

dito!
Im feeling my dreams in such an emotional way whereas my real life is just passing by, day by day...
You got it spot on. I couldn't have said it better.My dreams are so vivid and emotionally gripping that I sometimes wish I lived in the dream world rather than exist in what I perceive to be waking life.

·
Seeking change
76 Posts
I felt this way for a long time. I would attribute this situation to brain damage caused by using drugs. Really I was just in a big denial state, which kept it going. I still end up like this at work after I find out that any good mood I had previously dissolves, because I get depressed about not talking to people openly even though I've been around them for months. This is what I call the "robot" state where it takes all of my mental power just to focus on the job at hand. I end up spending the rest of my time there like this, doing "pre-programmed" tasks and hoping the clock will go faster until it's time to go. It can be straight up painful.

·
Registered
866 Posts
You just described what people call "derealization." its a symptom of anxiety and depression..

·
Registered
108 Posts
I feel brain dead when I have a major episode. Not really productive at all.

·
My brain is numb
31 Posts
hey!
I found two really informtaive articles about how both stress and depression inhibts cognitive function and memory. I wish a psychologist had told me this years ago!
I'd highly reccomend the read.
http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f33/depression-prohibits-my-thinking-147539/ and http://karen-lawrence.suite101.com/managing-stress-and-depression-for-better-memory-a83782
Also i've found that joining brain training-lumosity.com helps enormously with memory loss be it with words..or just forgetfullness in general.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts