Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Onlylordknows you said something interesting in the thread about facial expressions when you walk by people. He said he thinks his SA is getting worse as time goes by.

When I went off to college 6 years ago, I experienced depression for the first time. (It was mostly cause of SA, although I didn't know at the time what was happening to me. It was hard for me to make new friends and feel I fit it, had anyone to talk to, etc.) It was pretty bad, and I feel it's changed me.

Now it seems I get more obsessive thoughts then I used to. I used to be able to "roll with the punches" better, and now it seems any little thing can get me down. Sometimes I seem to have lost my optimism, my ability to see the "silver lining." And as you all know, having SA doesn't help. It seems to confirm to me what a loser I think I am sometimes.

Have any of you been "changed" by depression? Has anyone overcome those feelings, or are they here to stay?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Depression is a state just like any other feeling and it is possible to change that state although when ur in it it seems impossible. It is very possible to recover from depression as my friend had done it and is such a cool guy now.

Your body controls your mood so you got to take action to get rid of depression. Do some sport that you really like, go cycling, go running, anything will help. I just went cycling for like an hour and I feel so great right now. It really helps your mood.

You will only change through action. Doing the same behaviors that you are now will only get you deeper and deeper into a hole. You got to change and you got to change now.

I would recommend Tony Robbins Personal Power II if you could get it. My friend who about 90% recovered recommended it to me and it helps a ton. Just message me if you dont know where to find it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm... THanks for the advice. I must admit I think too much sometimes, and my boyfriend says I'm too hard on myself....

The Tony Robbins thing looks interesting. Cynicism I suppose is another aspect of depression so it's good to hear about a program that has actually worked for someone, and know you're not being paid to say that! :thanks

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
Yeah, depression has changed me. Not in good ways. 'Nuff said.

Actually, all of my psychological problems seem to be getting more powerful on average the older I get. But I'm optimistic that over the past 2 years I have learned techniques and taken medications to be able to cope with them better too, so really things improve over the long run. (I think they will.)

I think it's just a matter of being less flexible the older you get. When you're young, your mind is putty and can be molded in any old way, but after a while the mold hardens and becomes more difficult to manipulate. Which isn't to say it's impossible, it's just harder to change.

·
Poorly Educated
4,912 Posts
It has definately affected me. My thoughts and feelings are much darker and more bitter than they used to be and I tend to be more negative and harder on myself now than when I was younger. I can only imagine how bad it will get as I get older.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Lonelyguy said:
It has definately affected me. My thoughts and feelings are much darker and more bitter than they used to be and I tend to be more negative and harder on myself now than when I was younger. I can only imagine how bad it will get as I get older.
I can relate :hug

·
SAS Member
1,667 Posts
yes, I have become depression. Anything I was, I ain't anymore, and anything I will be, I will build up from scratch

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,711 Posts
Well the good news is depression doesnt last forever and I read somewhere that the real self starts disapperaing kind of scares me and trying to find all the missing pieces takes a lot of inner work.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Yeah depression changes me. For a few months now since May i have been in state of anxiety which in turn makes me depressed, and i think how happy i was just a few months ago...Ok not 100% happy but happy enough to function. Now i feel so lifeless, my mind is a jumbled mess of thoughts..I can barely string a sentence together because i'm in such a state of confusion. I feel like the most hated person on the planet even though i know that i have not done anything wrong...I just feel like everyone hates me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes it has changed me to the point where I don't really recognise myself, the things I say and the things I do.

It's not nice, I tried medication but it didn't do anything. Not a big fan of meds anyhow.

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
Shauna The Dead said:
It hasn't changed me because I've always been depressed, I wouldn't know how to be any other way :con :stu
:ditto

1 - 16 of 16 Posts