Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested to hear, who here thinks that depression is mostly caused by external factors and life stressors?, or do you think it's mostly caused purely by chemical imbalance/genetics?, or a combination of both, or either/or. Personally I think that it can be either/or, or a combination of both.

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts
I'm interested to hear, who here thinks that depression is mostly caused by external factors and life stressors?, or do you think it's mostly caused purely by chemical imbalance/genetics?, or a combination of both, or either/or. Personally I think that it can be either/or, or a combination of both.
I think after experiencing a lot of stress, you can become depressed. Some people seem to be predispositioned to depression, like me.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Often times when we feel like we lack control or are loosing control over our lives depression comes a' knockin'. Change the way you think you must young one.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'm pretty sure my depression is just a symptom of how SA is affecting my life. Once deal with it then the depression should subside, hopefully, and I can come off the medication.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Anyone can become clinically depressed under the right circumstances (think bereavement). But people with recurrent depressions have a genetic predisposition. Both biology and environment both play key roles.

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
I agree that its either/or or a combination of both. In my case its both.

·
W/ a Gun Against My Head
558 Posts
I think that it is caused by external factors, but some people are more susceptible to it than others because of genetics. I also think medication or abrupt hormone level changes make people more susceptible to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts