Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Daydreaming
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how and if depression is or can be similar to social anxiety? Not sure if this was asked before or not...I was just thinking about it.

·
immortal in the making
820 Posts
the 2 often go hand in hand. in you suffer from SA, you have a high possibility of then suffering from depression. and if you suffer from depression, it is also then possible to develope SA symptoms, and suffer from that too. the problem with mental issues is that so many things have symptoms that overlap other disorders that it can be hard to distinguish between them if you are not fully experienced with diagnosing mental disorders etc.
with depression and SA, for example, they can both cause self isolation. but most commonly, one feeds the other and a downward spiral will ensue.
not sure if i quite answered your question here. but i hope i helped to some extent.

·
Banned
87 Posts
For me social anxiety led to depression which in turn led to isolation. I can imagine this can happen differently for other individuals, I also don't think every person with social anxiety necessarily suffers from depression.

·
Daydreaming
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
solitarymonkey:

Thanks! That makes sense.

"the problem with mental issues is that so many things have symptoms that overlap other disorders that it can be hard to distinguish between them"

Yeah, I know! Maybe I shouldn't think too much about this then. I often wonder what came first for me though, or if my main problem is just depression (with some social anxiety) or SA with some depression. :um

·
Registered
690 Posts
I defiently wonder that too. I think its more an anxious thought because I wonder if I cure my SA will I still be depressed which gets me down.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Research shows that there is a strong relationship between having social anxiety and developing depression at a later date. If you have been diagnosed with SA, you are up to six times more likely to develop depression.

Social anxiety often occurs alongside low self-esteem and clinical depression, due to lack of personal relationships and long periods of isolation from avoiding social situations. Although both SA and depression may involve social withdrawal, the cause of the withdrawal is different. People with SA withdraw out of fear of negative evaluation by others, while people with depression withdraw due to a lack of enjoyment.

IMO, with the exception of suffering from major depression, I would mainly focus on SA and you should see improvements in the other areas (depression, anxiety, self esteem, confidence etc).

·
immortal in the making
820 Posts
I agree with the above. If you have sa, that's definately the thing to concentrate on the most as it may help to clear up the depression. Or at least, a lot of it. Unless of course there are deeper psychological reasons behind the depression. Everybody is different, tho. I'm currently on antidepressants to help with that so i can concentrate on clearing my negative thought patterns. It's complicated. But simple at the same time.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I somewhat disagree with the idea that social anxiety should be taken care of before depression. It depends on the situation. Most of the time, psychiatrists give priority to depression. B ut if you are in a state of chronic panic, then psychiatrists should prescribe anything that will calm you down. Reducing the panic can sometimes relieve the depression.

Social anxiety and depression very often go together. My therapist has referred to them as the "twin towers."

·
Cool story, bro!
986 Posts
I somewhat disagree with the idea that social anxiety should be taken care of before depression. It depends on the situation. Most of the time, psychiatrists give priority to depression. B ut if you are in a state of chronic panic, then psychiatrists should prescribe anything that will calm you down. Reducing the panic can sometimes relieve the depression.

Social anxiety and depression very often go together. My therapist has referred to them as the "twin towers."
Interesting. My psychiatrist labeled the avoidant/anxious personality before the depression. In the diagnosis it seemed the depression was a by-product of the avoidance i deal with in everyday life.

In general I don't think it matters either way. Though I do think if a person was able to overcome SA then it'd be easier to overcome depression. I don't think overcoming depression would necessarily result in overcoming SA.

I say that because i am REALLY anxious socially and am nervous all the time. but alot of that time i'm NOT depressed. i genuinely do love life and living and wouldn't want it to end for anything, i just wish that i was able to deal with it better at times.

lately to deal with it i just drink or take valium. It's not the best at all but it's all I got.

·
Registered
18,889 Posts
Depression takes away your motivation to do the things to cure/help/cope with SA.

SA hinders your ability to do the things which would normally combat depression.

It's a great cycle, isn't it. Especially when both are "very severe" cases.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Social anxiety often occurs alongside low self-esteem and clinical depression, due to lack of personal relationships and long periods of isolation from avoiding social situations. Although both SA and depression may involve social withdrawal, the cause of the withdrawal is different. People with SA withdraw out of fear of negative evaluation by others, while people with depression withdraw due to a lack of enjoyment.
Hmm yes. I go round in circles. I've not just got SA. I do sometimes wonder which came first and have probably developed SA from struggling to have personal relationships, but don't feel motivated to do anything anymore as lost enjoyment. Never officially been diagnosed with anything.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
For me, atypical depression appears to be the root cause of most of my problems (depression, SA, OCD, schizoid PD). The hypo-dopaminergic state from the atypical depression causes a lack of motivation, sociability and happiness. The near total lack of social drive and "lust for life" caused the anxiety as I grew up in a markedly different psychological state to others. OCD I am not so sure of but it probably again involves my limited hedonic capacity and consequential inability to cope with anxiety.

·
Banned
648 Posts
the 2 often go hand in hand. in you suffer from SA, you have a high possibility of then suffering from depression. and if you suffer from depression, it is also then possible to develope SA symptoms, and suffer from that too. the problem with mental issues is that so many things have symptoms that overlap other disorders that it can be hard to distinguish between them if you are not fully experienced with diagnosing mental disorders etc.
with depression and SA, for example, they can both cause self isolation. but most commonly, one feeds the other and a downward spiral will ensue.
not sure if i quite answered your question here. but i hope i helped to some extent.
yes true SA sufferers tend to get depression, understandably.
But IMO mental illness is not one or the other, it's all shades of grey, psychiatrists are always putting things in boxes, sections, catagorizing these disorders. The mind is a very complicated thing, and because people often find themselves in a certain 'shade' it is common, and they box it "You have Social Anxiety Disorder",
THAT is why many disorders overlap another, because of different degrees, like a X and Y position, sry if that didn't make sense, but d'you know what im sayin??

·
Banned
497 Posts
Does anyone know how and if depression is or can be similar to social anxiety? Not sure if this was asked before or not...I was just thinking about it.
they are both 2 completely different things.

depression is feeling down. SA is feeling scared.

i have SA but im not depressed. even though im lonely and live a boring life im still not down or depressed im just scared

having sed that though the 2 can effect each other. SA can cause someone to become depressed. and beig depressed can caause sme people to become anxious

but the bottom line is that the 2 only effect each other for SOME people not all people (we are all different) and all in all they are both 2 seperat issues not the same oreven similar thing

1 - 15 of 15 Posts