Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Death is my comforter.
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boss told me this and we had an argument. If you're not feeling well due to depression and SAD, what else is there to do besides feel depressing and anxious? I think my boss is an old timer who doesn't get it...as all!

·
SUS Member
10,742 Posts
They seem that way to many people who don't understand mental health problems. Some people think anyone can just push through anything if they really want to. I know people who would not accept anxiety or depression as an excuse for any kind of abnormality in behavior. "Even if you are anxious/depressed, you should still be able to function like everyone else" is basically what they believe. Which is more or less the same as believing anxiety and depression don't exist.

·
bipolar
16,988 Posts
Until someone's experienced genuine anxiety or mental health issues themselves - or seen it in someone they care about, they quite often refuse to even accept them as real. Some people probably still don't accept it I guess - but fortunately I haven't had too many people like that in my life.

·
Registered
Somewhere else.
46 Posts
People that say this, why do they think so many people worldwide self harm, may resort to substance abuse & those who ultimately take there own lives every year ? Because life is so fun they need a rest ? Is death an excuse ?......:coffee::unsure:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I used to not understand depression and say that I don’t understand people with depression, guess who was living with depression, anxiety, and C-PTSD from a very young age. YEP me, and of course self-medicating so I was pretty happy and chilled most of the time. LOL 😂

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
42,592 Posts
Your location says Japan so assuming you live/work there now I'm not really surprised. There's a reason Japan has so many hikikomori. The work culture there is particularly insane, although probably not quite as bad as the US in some respects.

·
Super Moderator
34,094 Posts
Your location says Japan so assuming you live/work there now I'm not really surprised. There's a reason Japan has so many hikikomori. The work culture there is particularly insane, although probably not quite as bad as the US in some respects.
I don't know much about the history of Japan but I'm pretty sure the aftermath of WW2 might have had a lot to do with making the work culture there very similar to the US because of the occupation.

·
Loathed Loiterer
8,144 Posts
In terms of the "expected to be constantly overworking" culture, U.S I think pales drastically in comparison to that of Japan. Especially in that of the white collar culture. Overall I think U.S work culture is actually more on the relaxed spectrum in relative to many of the other countries. Especially Asia of course. I imagine a lot of the European countries are much more relaxed too.

·
Super Moderator
4,871 Posts
In the US that can potentially be considered as discrimination, especially if it had been disclosed during the employment's equal opportunity process. But even then it still doesn't say too much since at-will employment can still fire someone for 'a different reason' or have the worker driven to quit if they are being subtly belittled.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts