Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
MayTheForceBeWithYou
19,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Depressed People With Memory Problems Are More Likely to Develop Alzheimer's Disease

source http://mychannelnews.info/alzheimer...re-more-likely-to-develop-alzheimers-disease/

Researchers working at UCLA have published a new study in which they suggest that people with memory problems who are depressed are more likely to develop Alzheimer's disease than others. They did also found however that the widely used Alzheimer's drug donepezil may be useful in helping to delay the progression of the disease in those individuals with mild cognitive impairment or memory difficulties.

Mild cognitive impairment is defined as the stage between the cognitive decline that comes naturally with aging and Alzheimer's disease. These people experience memory problems that are usually greater than might be expected with normal aging but do not show any other symptoms of Alzheimer's such as a difficulty in completing basic daily tasks.

Over the course of three years 756 people between the ages of 55 and 91 who had been diagnosed as having mild cognitive impairment were followed and monitored by the researchers. Out of the study's total participants 208 were also diagnosed as depressed , using a standard test that measures the severity and intensity of depression in an individual. For each single point increase on the test researchers found that the participants risk for developing full blown Alzheimer's disease went up by 3 percent.

"Our longer-term findings add to the body of evidence that suggests depression is a major risk factor for Alzheimer's disease," said Po H. Lu, an assistant professor of neurology and a member of the UCLA Mary S. Easton Center for Alzheimer's Disease Research. "Since the drug donepezil has been shown to improve the behavioral symptoms of Alzheimer's disease, our study also tested whether the drug would delay the progression to Alzheimer's disease in people with memory problems."

Study participants were divided into three groups. They were either then given donepezil, a Vitamin E supplement or a harmless placebo pill. Amongst the depressed participants in the group that was taking the donepezil 11 percent developed Alzheimer's at 1.7 years in comparison to the 25 percent of those taking either the vitamin E or the placebo pill.

When accessed at 2.2 years 14 perecent of the depressed donepezil group had been diagnosed with the disease while the figure was 29 percent in the other groups. For those who had not been diagnosed as depressed at the start of the study, donepezil seemed to have little effect.

The drug has yet to be approved by the FDA for treating mild cognitive impairment. It is currently indicated only for use in Alzheimer's patients with mild to moderate and severe disease.

However the researchers were buoyed by their findings "If we can delay the progression of this disease for even two years, it could significantly improve the quality of life for many people dealing with memory loss," Lu said.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Wow, informative article Torlin. Thanks robb

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have depression but I have excellent memory. :) It scares me sometimes.
Same here.
I have a great memory. Sometimes I really wish I didn't...
Me too.

They don't say if they mean long-term or short-term memory, if it makes a difference. I have a very good long-term memory, but I won't remember something I was supposed to do or was told five minutes ago. But then I remember little insignificant details about things that nobody else even notices, and when I am anxious I will take everything in and not even realize how much I remember till later -- like my brain has to process it first.

This is really interesting, but also kind of scary -- my grandma had Alzheimer's...

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts
The donepezil mentioned has an OTC counterpart called Huperzine. it is a herb, works just like donepezil and likely would protect from Alzheimer's the same way donepezil does. Besides, its dirt cheap.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do alot of people with depression have memory problems.I've had a bad memory all my life people tell me something or I read it and I instantly can't remember it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
o great ive got so much 2 look forward 2 in the future!!! i get to have sa and alzheimers what a combo!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
maybe i'll get it one day. i'm so looking forward!
well i have poor memory when it comes to learning, i think. :\ but i remember a lot of stupid little trivial things people say that don't even matter.

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts
My short and long term memory are awful. Ex. I can't remember movie plots I saw a few days ago, I can't remember a lot of conversations, I can't remember what someone said to me a minute ago when I'm feeling anxious, and I have very few memories from childhood.

·
ISFJ
1,473 Posts
My short and long term memory are awful. Ex. I can't remember movie plots I saw a few days ago, I can't remember a lot of conversations, I can't remember what someone said to me a minute ago when I'm feeling anxious, and I have very few memories from childhood.
I'm the same way, only it takes me a while to call up memories. Childhood memories come back to me if I sort of meditate on it. There's a method to it, but I can't put it into words.

I find the more I feel depressed, the less I remember. That's for sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts