Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently put on Depakote 500mg BID along with Lopressor 25mg QD. I used to take Effexor XR, Neurontin, and Xanax daily, but I was taken off all of them by a different psychiatrist. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Depakote. I know that it is not used for treating anxiety, but I've read that Depakote acts as a GABA transaminase inhibitor to some extent (i.e. it inhibits GABA from breaking down) and I think I might be experiencing some of the expected anxiolytic effects from it. Is this effect very pronounced - is it actually noticeable as I have described? Or is it more like Neurontin's don't-know-it's-there-til-it's-gone type of action? I think I felt it more when I first began treatment with it a few weeks ago. I haven't had a valproate trough yet to see what my valproate level is, but I feel like I could withstand an increase in dosage to 500mg TID if it means getting that initial feeling back :yes Thanks in advance for any responses!

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Depakote is a GABA transaminase inhibitor (probably not as strong as the toxic vigabatrin), but it has several other mechanisms of action, some of which are not completely understood. No one can really say if you will have a good anxiolytic effect from it in the future, you will have to wait and see what happens. ;) Have you thought about taking time-released Metoprolol against your migraines (and physical signs of anxiety)? Would be better than taking it four times a day IMHO.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depakote is a GABA transaminase inhibitor (probably not as strong as the toxic vigabatrin), but it has several other mechanisms of action, some of which are not completely understood. No one can really say if you will have a good anxiolytic effect from it in the future, you will have to wait and see what happens. ;) Have you thought about taking time-released Metoprolol against your migraines (and physical signs of anxiety)? Would be better than taking it four times a day IMHO.
I've been considering switching to time-released metoprolol. I have a follow-up appointment with my psychiatrist this Wednesday. I might ask him about it then.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts