Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brush my teeth, throughly at least twice a day, which is normal; however, my routine also consists of an intense mouthwash routine. First, I rinse for about 30 seconds with one type of mouthwash (listerene). Secondly, I brush my teeth and tongue for about a minute. Lastly, I rinse again with another mouthwash for cavities etc. Sometimes, I even rinse my mouth with hydrogen peroxide to kill any germs in my mouth and to keep my teeth clean and bright. Now my mouth has been very sensitive and sore (it burns a lot when I use any mouthwash now).

Does anyone else have an over zealous routine when it comes to their teeth and mouth? I just worry about things like having a nice, bright smile and fresh breath. But now it's like I have messed up the natural order of my mouth.

·
Banned
9,928 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You need to floss to get rid of germs in the mouth. That helps more than mouthwash. Germs get in between teeth and under the gums. You have to wrap the floss around the tooth to get down there. It's called the c shaped flossing.
/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=propper%20flossing%20technique&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CEoQtwIwAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3De3ZAj-fXKMY&ei=nn6pTsSUKoXf0QG1973bAw&usg=AFQjCNE5tiV64NbMQahPVjxUIqh9JSt0gA
I do floss as well. It's just hard to access each and every tooth, more just the ones closer to the front.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are definitely overdoing it. Do you have OCD?
Yes, but I never really thought it involved my dental habits, more about social issues.

·
inactive
4,029 Posts
Dentally you're probably near perfect, but by using that much mouthwash you're risking gum disease from the alkali. You might have sparkling gnashers but give it a few years and you'll have lost most of them from receding gums. Visit your dentist and get some advice regarding how much mouthwash you should regularly use. I'd also recommend avoiding hydrogen peroxide mouthwash, it's especially excessive given that your teeth are most likely already perfectly clean.

·
Banned
9,928 Posts
Hopefully you are getting treatment for OCD. It is a difficult disorder to treat in many cases.

·
◔_◔
5,208 Posts
Yea wayyy overboard. All toothpaste in the stores unless your make your own contains glycerine, which creates a very thick coating on teeth. Glycerine also prevents bacteria from reaching the teeth, sounds all good right? Well because of the thick coating it also prevents the minerals in the saliva from remineralizing your teeth, which will lead to issues. So yes try to cut back your doing more harm than good.

·
Enthralled
1,388 Posts
Rinse, floss, brush and then rinse. Seems normal to me, maybe lay off the peroxide if your mouth is sore. There are mouthwashes for sensitive mouths.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts