Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. LONG TIME since I've been on these forums.

After the 6 month placebo period, I was turned on and BOY does this thing ever work.

All of my suicidal thoughts are gone, I'm scoring a depression score of like 2-3 instead of 30 on the MADRS AND HAM-D. My doctor says that I've done incredibly well.

The 6 month placebo period was very difficult since I'm certain it wasn't on, but I won't know until they release the journal. About 3-4 weeks into stimulation I had the urge to start working because I felt energized. I started biking and worked as a courier for a short stint which helped me regain muscle and endurance. I did that for about 5-6 months and played with the DBS settings with my psychiatrist in Toronto. Eventually we settled on 3.75 V, and I've been doing exceptionally well ever since.

I'm working full time, I'm back in school full time and pursuing my CPA. I had some unresolved fatigue and concentration issues after surgery that could possibly be from years of depression, but 20 mg of Vyvanse has helped resolve that. I'm honestly a 10/10 and HIGHLY recommend this surgery.

In the US the DBS trials were poorly done and there were patients that had a bad experience. In Canada, the research is showing that the operation is helping the majority of patients and Dr. Lozano and Dr. Mayberg are literally responsible for saving my life. If you can get this operation done, TAKE THE RISK. Infection is the highest risk of operation and it's only 5%. I did not have any infection. My only side effects are mild headaches maybe once a week which I take tylenol for.

My life has completely done a 180. I'm finally out of the darkness. I never gave up on treatment and neither should you. Please find a way to keep trying treatments. I had depression and did literally NOTHING except watch Netflix for about 6 years and try to continue tutoring accounting whenever I could.

EVERYONE in my life kept telling me that I was silly for trying new therapies and treatments and that I should just settle. TRUST YOURSELF. YOU KNOW WHEN YOU'RE WELL.

STICKY THIS FRIGGEN POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be back to answer questions from time to time.

·
Registered
276 Posts

After the 6 month placebo period, I was turned on and BOY does this thing ever work.

All of my suicidal thoughts are gone, I'm scoring a depression score of like 2-3 instead of 30 on the MADRS AND HAM-D. My doctor says that I've done incredibly well.

The 6 month placebo period was very difficult since I'm certain it wasn't on, but I won't know until they release the journal. About 3-4 weeks into stimulation I had the urge to start working because I felt energized. I started biking and worked as a courier for a short stint which helped me regain muscle and endurance. I did that for about 5-6 months and played with the DBS settings with my psychiatrist in Toronto. Eventually we settled on 3.75 V, and I've been doing exceptionally well ever since.

I'm working full time, I'm back in school full time and pursuing my CPA. I had some unresolved fatigue and concentration issues after surgery that could possibly be from years of depression, but 20 mg of Vyvanse has helped resolve that. I'm honestly a 10/10 and HIGHLY recommend this surgery.

In the US the DBS trials were poorly done and there were patients that had a bad experience. In Canada, the research is showing that the operation is helping the majority of patients and Dr. Lozano and Dr. Mayberg are literally responsible for saving my life. If you can get this operation done, TAKE THE RISK. Infection is the highest risk of operation and it's only 5%. I did not have any infection. My only side effects are mild headaches maybe once a week which I take tylenol for.

My life has completely done a 180. I'm finally out of the darkness. I never gave up on treatment and neither should you. Please find a way to keep trying treatments.

EVERYONE in my life kept telling me that I was silly for trying new therapies and treatments and that I should just settle. TRUST YOURSELF. YOU KNOW WHEN YOU'RE WELL.

Congratulation for your success!!!

Would DBS be effective for SA?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congratulation for your success!!!

Would DBS be effective for SA?
I don't believe so. I still have mild social anxiety, but it's manageable and I take a benzo when I need to. I think the only great options for social anxiety atm are CBT, an antidepressant and slowly rewiring your CNS by exposing yourself to more anxiety provoking situations.

Your social anxiety could also be a symptom of another disorder like ADHD. If you're unable to focus on what a person is saying, you can freeze up and have nothing to converse about. Awkward situations would make anyone anxious and this would contribute to a positive feedback loop.

·
Banned
6,284 Posts
great news @gilmourr, got any decent links you can post for anybody interested to read more about it. Must say, I had never even heard about it.

·
Registered
10,518 Posts
Nice to hear some good news on here from time to time. Congrats.
Hope this will help more people.

·
Wanted for questioning
3,081 Posts
Holy **** they put wires in your brain and use them to shoot electricity at it?

That's some ****in' super hero **** right there.

Let me know if you start to develop super strength or speed, invisibility or like grow a 3rd arm or something equally dope.

·
SAS's Chief Meteorologist
7,539 Posts
Will DBS cure a hangover?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Wow, that's really awesome to hear!!!!

As a fellow Canadian (BC), is this covered by medical insurance? Or how much did it cost you? Also, you have to be awake for it right? Was that scary, or not at all .. ?

·
Banned
792 Posts
I'm happy for you.! Depression is getting me super down, been dealing with it for way too long.
That's wonderful though. Congrats.

My initial response is thinking gee. They make money off everything.

Just one question did u change ur diet at all or begin any affirmations?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Im fascinated by your story bud.
Can you share more to others suffering mostly anhedonia symptoms? Did you have a complete shutdown of emotions, and inability to feel pleasure from anything prior to DBS?
Did DBS cure all those symptoms, you can now feel full emotion and pleasure?

·
Registered
232 Posts

My life has completely done a 180. I'm finally out of the darkness. I never gave up on treatment and neither should you. Please find a way to keep trying treatments. I had depression and did literally NOTHING except watch Netflix for about 6 years and try to continue tutoring accounting whenever I could.

Does your depression involve more sadness or irritability? I have the irritabile type, and no pleasure but also no negative thoughts. If you ask me why I'm not interested in anything, I won't be able to tell you. My depression was developed from the use of antidepressants so its chemical. I now realized how depression is much worse to have than social anxiety). Do you think DBS will work in my case?

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi gilmourr , congrats on dbs :)!

in 3 years i will be getting dbs, i have a few questions:

in which area (brain ) is your dbs?
befoer dbs, were u emotionally completely blutned, or partial?
anhedonia?

how do you feel now :)

greetings

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, that's really awesome to hear!!!!

As a fellow Canadian (BC), is this covered by medical insurance? Or how much did it cost you? Also, you have to be awake for it right? Was that scary, or not at all .. ?
The study covers the cost. I didn't have to pay anything. You have to be awake for it. Of course it's scary, but living with severe depression is a nightmare, so it was nothing compared to that.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im fascinated by your story bud.
Can you share more to others suffering mostly anhedonia symptoms? Did you have a complete shutdown of emotions, and inability to feel pleasure from anything prior to DBS?
Did DBS cure all those symptoms, you can now feel full emotion and pleasure?
I definitely didn't enjoy much, but I wouldn't consider myself 100% anhedonic. I was severely depressed and was in extreme emotional pain 24/7. I didn't sleep, I didn't eat, I had no energy, I couldn't think, and I wanted to die everyday.

I have an incredible life now. I've got my own business, and I'm in a great relationship. I go to bed every night at 10 PM and wake up at 7 AM. I'm never in pain and I've never been more stable in my life. MAOIs are a joke compared to DBS.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does your depression involve more sadness or irritability? I have the irritabile type, and no pleasure but also no negative thoughts. If you ask me why I'm not interested in anything, I won't be able to tell you. My depression was developed from the use of antidepressants so its chemical. I now realized how depression is much worse to have than social anxiety). Do you think DBS will work in my case?
Everyone has idiosyncratic responses to depression. I wouldn't get too boggled down with what type of depression you have. You have depression.

If you have severe depression and you meet the criteria for DBS, get DBS. It's a no brainer. It's been incredible and its saved my life. I would do it again in a second.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did you ever try ketamine infusions before this?
I wasn't able to get into a study, so I had my GP prescribe oral ketamine. I dosed as high as I possible could go and eventually k-holed. It did nothing for me, but it works for many.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hi gilmourr , congrats on dbs :)!

in 3 years i will be getting dbs, i have a few questions:

in which area (brain ) is your dbs?
befoer dbs, were u emotionally completely blutned, or partial?
anhedonia?

how do you feel now :)

greetings
Congrats! Stay strong in the meantime, because it's worth it.

My DBS electrode were placed in the subcallosal cingulate gyrus.

I was dead inside before DBS. I'm thriving now.

I've never been more mentally stable in my life. It's been about 2 years now. I've only had to adjust it from 3.25 V to 4.0 V. The limit is 11.0 V I believe.

Why is this thread not stickied? DBS is a hell of a lot more effective than MAOIs and that is stickied. The top 3 stickies in this forum should be rTMS, Ketamine and DBS. Get on it mods.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts