Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after my pysch was hesistant to prescribe me nardil as i suggested it to him and he knew nothing about, he wrote me a script. Well my dad is suppose to pay for it. Thing is I've have trouble in the past where i've tooken supplements and drugs that i thought were 'it' but failed and ended me up in the hospital.
So now when i finally get nardil my sister scared the **** out of the psych. My whole family gave me 4 hour lecture that i'm going down the wrong path and said they wouldnj't buy me it. Now i gotta book an appointment embarasslingly and have my sister come with me for her to only blab and sue the pysch and embarass me while i thinking i probably having little chance of defending to try this med.

MY WHOLE family is against me using it. They say it's my downfall and i'm too sick to know this is the right path as i have suggested this med to my doctor and he didn't. Now idk whether i should even book another appointment or not. I'm screwed. Idk what to do.

·
1bottle of moonshine john
530 Posts
Hey there,

Its ok, calm down.

Your family dont understand, they are taking the typical generic approach towards something they dont understand. My family does it to me too - about Nardil.

Your psych does not deserve to be sued -- your sister is overreacting out of ignorance.(No offense)

People here at this forum are Nardil experts -- they KNOW much better than your sister and family about Nardil and if its right for you.

When they said you are "too sick" to know what you are doing -- this is completely wrong and negligent of them to say.

Nardil may not be the right med for you -- but it can change your life, and you wont regret it if it does. It does come with risks, and u need to be responsible and careful. If you can do this -- Nardil will be no problem to you. If you dont think you can be responsible and careful enough with Nardil, then maybe opt for something else.

My advice: Cancel any appointments you have with this current psych and dont bring your sister or family. You have the RIGHT to your own health and privacy. They have no business being there controlling your life and dictating what is right for you. (Unless of course you are underage).

Find a different psych and dont tell your family or sister about your appointments. Tell your new psych about your nardil script and ask for advice. There must be places and ways you can afford to buy this medication yourself without having your family pay for it ie: control you.

You probably shouldnt and cant hide the fact you are taking Nardil, from your family. Because of the food and drug restrictions and other related nardil side effects etc -- they are bound to know and you need people to know you are on it for your safety.

If you can find a good psych who KNOWS about Nardil, he can tell your sister and family to not worry.

It is unfair how they are treating you, when you want to get better and need the help that Nardil can bring you. Especially considering they are not doctors or psychs and know nothing about it, and are just reacting out of fear/ignorance. Although this is understandable because they love you and want you to be safe.

You can find a way around this.

If not, there is effexor and mirtazapine you can combine which is said to be as good as Parnate (Nardils almost twin).

You just need to find a psych who is very experienced and knowledgeable.

Do you work? Can you find ways to provide your own money for the meds?

This is just my opinion, so dont take it to heart or anything.

Hope this helped in some way,
John

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Nardil isn't a bad med but in my opinion it should be used last resort and people on this forum need to understand that. A lot of people push to skip right to it but I think a lot of people need to try other medicines before going to an MAOI.

I also feel maois can be overrated. I read some success stories but I also read some failures. In my opinion the MAOI risks are not worth the slight effect it may have on anxiety. If MAOIs were 80-90% successful for social anxiety than I would consider it. But the fact that people push for MAOIs on this forum really annoys me. I don't want to scare people away from them because they are helpful for some but in my opinion it's not the gold standard. Another thing you will notice is that everyone that I've talked to has had at least one hypertensive crisis. That's another reason why I stay away from maois.

I think the real way to cure social anxiety is by changing thought patterns. I've had some great success from changing my thought patterns.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
Thing is I've have trouble in the past where i've tooken supplements and drugs that i thought were 'it' but failed and ended me up in the hospital.
...such as?...

Now idk whether i should even book another appointment or not. I'm screwed. Idk what to do.
Sounds pretty useless. Go by yourself or cancel. What's the point of having an appointment just so your sister can be a *****?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've tried Cibadex(CBD supplement) and Kanna. I guess i am going to cancel the appointment and messaging my psych saying I'm going to try to do CBT (since my whole family is telling me to do it though it wont help) but get a job which seems really hard. I've been feeling really distant, numb, and just more insane cause of doing online school being isolated. Being on the computer too much and getting this hate for my family. I literally am a burden, i have BPD ontop of this so that sucks.

Anyways I guess i got to wait till i get my own job which will prove to be very hard.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply soulcancer. Barry have you tried Nardil before? What was your experience like? Viper was nardil also benefical to you?

...such as?...

Sounds pretty useless. Go by yourself or cancel. What's the point of having an appointment just so your sister can be a *****?
Nardil isn't a bad med but in my opinion it should be used last resort and people on this forum need to understand that. A lot of people push to skip right to it but I think a lot of people need to try other medicines before going to an MAOI.

I also feel maois can be overrated. I read some success stories but I also read some failures. In my opinion the MAOI risks are not worth the slight effect it may have on anxiety. If MAOIs were 80-90% successful for social anxiety than I would consider it. But the fact that people push for MAOIs on this forum really annoys me. I don't want to scare people away from them because they are helpful for some but in my opinion it's not the gold standard. Another thing you will notice is that everyone that I've talked to has had at least one hypertensive crisis. That's another reason why I stay away from maois.

I think the real way to cure social anxiety is by changing thought patterns. I've had some great success from changing my thought patterns.
Hey there,

Its ok, calm down.

Your family dont understand, they are taking the typical generic approach towards something they dont understand. My family does it to me too - about Nardil.

Your psych does not deserve to be sued -- your sister is overreacting out of ignorance.(No offense)

People here at this forum are Nardil experts -- they KNOW much better than your sister and family about Nardil and if its right for you.

When they said you are "too sick" to know what you are doing -- this is completely wrong and negligent of them to say.

Nardil may not be the right med for you -- but it can change your life, and you wont regret it if it does. It does come with risks, and u need to be responsible and careful. If you can do this -- Nardil will be no problem to you. If you dont think you can be responsible and careful enough with Nardil, then maybe opt for something else.

My advice: Cancel any appointments you have with this current psych and dont bring your sister or family. You have the RIGHT to your own health and privacy. They have no business being there controlling your life and dictating what is right for you. (Unless of course you are underage).

Find a different psych and dont tell your family or sister about your appointments. Tell your new psych about your nardil script and ask for advice. There must be places and ways you can afford to buy this medication yourself without having your family pay for it ie: control you.

You probably shouldnt and cant hide the fact you are taking Nardil, from your family. Because of the food and drug restrictions and other related nardil side effects etc -- they are bound to know and you need people to know you are on it for your safety.

If you can find a good psych who KNOWS about Nardil, he can tell your sister and family to not worry.

It is unfair how they are treating you, when you want to get better and need the help that Nardil can bring you. Especially considering they are not doctors or psychs and know nothing about it, and are just reacting out of fear/ignorance. Although this is understandable because they love you and want you to be safe.

If not, there is effexor and mirtazapine you can combine which is said to be as good as Parnate (Nardils almost twin).

John

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
No I never tried nardil but I did a lot of research on it. I think it is a good med that's for sure but you should also see if other meds work before you put yourself on a MAOI.

I mean think about it. You could be stuck on an MAOI for your entire life and other medicines could work better than nardil. You just never know. I personally would rather try other meds before the MAOI route. Who knows though, I might end up on nardil one day. But I don't understand why people won't try ECT as a last resort before an MAOI.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
Why not try something simpler at first like Zoloft or Paxil and see how that goes? You might be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
soul did you find an expericned psych..if so how
Hey there,

Its ok, calm down.

John

·
Dvana
140 Posts
I am sorry that you can not take Nardil and that your family seem to be acting very harshly towards you right now. From your post you mentioned that you have BPD, I assume your referring to bipolar disorder? If that is the case you must already know that people with this illness should not be medicated with Nardil, it could make that condition a lot worse and hence that maybe the reason why your sister is threatening to sue your pdoc. Dealing with multiple disorders is extremely difficult for both doctor and patient. Personally if I was your pdoc and I knew you had bipolar I would not have written you the prescription, harsh I know, but for your own safety. You sound very young to me, I apologize if I am mistaken, and I know that really probably does not mean anything to you, to me it means that you have time on your side, that there is no hurry, yes we all wish to be cured ASAP but rarely that happens and requires MUCH more then meds alone, though the meds are a still very important part of our treatment program. Have you tried the CBT before. I found it to be very helpful, my one regret being - do not let this disorder fool you, even when you think your cured or almost cured, you should always keep with therapy, pdocs and other helpful mental health support programs. There is a percentage of people who relapse often. It maybe a life long battle, it is for many of us, but I wish you the best of luck, let us know what other meds your docs are considering and other conditions/disorders that you have. There are some very knowledgable and helpful people on this site, I am not familiar with BPD, nor with many of the drugs (how they work) though I have taken many, and I am very confident that they would be more then willing to help you. I wish you the best of luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts