Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This probably doesn't sound like an especially worthwhile achievement. But for me, the idea of doing something like this was pretty intimidating - as this is something I've never done - nor even ever considered doing - before. But there is this actor I've recently seen in a few films, and who I really admire - as he is one of the most talented versatile actors I've noticed in some while. Initially I didn't feel the urge to actually go as far as to contact him, but after having found out a bit more about him on a fan site I've recently joined - and having seen him in a few interviews - I started thinking about it. Initially I told myself that it was a ridiculous idea, especially as the chances are as slim as they are he'll even get the letter, or send any kind of response. Not to mention that fact that various worst case scenarios of what the guys reaction (or his agent's anyway) were going through my mind i.e. throwing the letter straight into the bin because they're weren't interested in reading what I had to say, or at the least just laughing at it, because no doubt they've heard the exact same kind of things said by hundreds of other fans who've decided to write in before. Plus, I didn't even think there was a chance that when I sat down at my PC to put this together, that it was likely any sentence worth typing out would come to mind anyway - as I felt so nervous about it. I nearly ended up totally dismissing the idea.

But then in the end, it occurred to me that I'm doing what I almost always do when it comes to the unknown in life. Predict the worst - when in fact I have no idea of what it is that's going to happen for definite - and give in to the fear/feelings of anxiety as a result of that which then gets in the way of me even attempting a task, which could be of benefit to me in way (whether small or big). It also occurred to me, that I'm probably placing far too much importance - again another habit with me - on what other people think of me and in fact just taking the whole thing far too seriously. As at the end of the day, this is just another human being (regardless of what it is he does as a career) who I don't even personally know and even if he were to never respond - much as it would be disappointing - it would be far from the end of the world and it wouldn't even be as if I'd have to know anything about it even if the reaction to my letter did happen to be a negative one. It's only the ideas in my mind that I'm actually nervous/anxious of - rather than an actual event. So in the end I just thought 'what the hell, despite how awkward/nervous/anxious I feel, I'm going to go ahead and do this anyway - just to prove to myself that I can (as a bit of an experiment) , and just take the attitude - whatever happens happens. Plus it might even be fun! And so I did. Letter is now all ready to send off in the post! Which I'm planning to do tomorrow. Now that I've written it (even though I'm still a little nervous at the idea of sending it) I'm actually feeling pretty glad I did :)

·
Neurotic megalomaniac
195 Posts
Oh man, that's great! That could be a hobby, writing celebrities. It could reduce fears if you did it a lot because you don't have to expect a response. Then once you get one it would really be something. I hope they write back.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for that Arbor, much appreciated, and that's a good idea :) Though I'm not sure at this point if I'd go as far as to make writing celebrities a hobby, I definitely agree that if I were to do it a few times more it could be a very helpful thing! I'm certainly going to think about it.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
This is so great. I did this for a celebrities birthday in June. It was my first time, too. I sent him a card for his birthday. I wasn't expecting any response at all. He actually sent me a generic photo signed. It says to the lovely [myname] Thanks so much for watching. It really made my day. I really love this actor.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is so great. I did this for a celebrities birthday in June. It was my first time, too. I sent him a card for his birthday. I wasn't expecting any response at all. He actually sent me a generic photo signed. It says to the lovely [myname] Thanks so much for watching. It really made my day. I really love this actor.
Good for you SA girl :) That's great! Glad that worked out well for you.

·
SAS Member
939 Posts
This a great step! I did the same thing about two years ago and wrote letters to 3 of the Golden Girls. And guess what? I received autographs from all 3. :)
Hope you get a response!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks for the encouraging post Wisteria, and that's good that you were able to get a reply.

Letter is now all posted & delivered! Will now have to wait and see what happens.:D

·
3rd SAS Battalion
886 Posts
Great idea, they do respond sometimes. When they don't it's simply that they're receiving thousands a week.

I've written to some and received replies, others not a thing.

I might try again with Paul McCartney though! I once sent Elton John a postcard from my vacation, I had a spare postcard and thought what the hell. Mad, I know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts