Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Beneath the surface
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear women of SAS, list some of your hobbies

Do as the title says, please.

I'm currently tired of bars and especially nightclubs so I'm trying to find a new meaningful hobby. It wouldn't hurt if there were women as well. Not only because it would be great to meet nice women but also to conquer some anxiety related to them (without alcohol).

I have been going to an exercise group where the majority is opposite sex but it's not really a good place to make contact to be honest. I'm not there because of women though, just wanted to make that clear :D But I have made some acquaintances there which is nice of course.

· unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
My hobbies? walking, swimming, going to the cinema.

Bit off topic, but is there anyone you know who has a baby? Could you look after it for a few hours? Babies are cute, portable and women turn to goo when they see one. Just take it to a public place and you'll be surrounded by misty-eyed females who want to talk to you :D

· Registered
103 Posts
My hobbies are:

Reading in bookstores - Nobody really bothers you, but if you want an educated mama, go there.

School

The dog park

Outdoor events - Movies in the park, music festivals

Oh, I've heard that PlentyofFish.com is really good for meeting people. Good luck!:)

· Too School for Cool
6,856 Posts
Volunteering - I personally think it's a great way to make friends, and develop relationships. Dating someone you volunteer with doesn't have the same taboo feeling as a traditional paid job.

Sports - Also a good way to meet women. One of the relaxed intramural leagues, a team sport. You spend more quality time with the people as opposed to exercise classes or more individial activities.

Reading and crafts - Out of luck there, I think.

· Beneath the surface
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmmm... volunteering... Funny, about a month ago I was walking on a street and got stopped by a nice smiling girl (probably 19-20 year old) who was doing charity work for UNICEF. She asked whether I had time and I answered something along the lines of "for you I got all day" (English is not my native language, sorry about poor translations). That made her blush! :boogie

I was kind of proud of myself later, dunno why. Sometimes I'm able to say some quick-witted lines without sounding awkward. :)

· Beneath the surface
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm... reminded me of another case when I was returning a winter coat to a store because feathers kept coming out of the stuffing. I felt anxious in front of the shop, thinking few minutes "what if the conversation will be long and I have to insist getting my money back etc." all the usual internal dialog about "what could go wrong" going in my head and possible dialog options.

So I nervously approach a young lady at the counter: "I'd like to complain about this product" (to my amazement my voice didn't break and I was very confident).

She looks me straight in the eyes, gives me a beautiful big smile and says with a cozy, warm voice: "Please do complain..."

I'm confused for a sec but then I smile back, start to laugh a bit and answer: "I can't say anything negative after that kind of smile. I'll come back tomorrow, hopefully there's someone else here then." (it was a giantic sports store with multiple employees). She started to blush and her workmate near started gigling. Then I just walked away laughing. I returned it the next day and she wasn't at the counter :boogie.

Again, on my native language that didn't sound so corny I think. Most importantly, I didn't feel anxious at all. It was easy because her smile almost literally stunned me there for a moment but removed all the anxiety.

Kinda sad that these are like my top10 moments with women... :|

I wish I could talk without any anxiety all the time, life would be so easy.

· Spread Your Wings
1,512 Posts
Hobbies - sometimes work, internet, art, reading, eating

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.