Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Fall 7 times, stand up 8.
8,916 Posts
Don't let SA stop you from achieving your goals, even if your anxiety is bad. It sort of goes along with that one quote that says "Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes." It may even get better once you start putting yourself out there.

·
All Kinds of Awesome
1,418 Posts
Errrm. I actually wasn't able to deal with my mental issues when I first went to college. They were the primary reason why I dropped out in the first place. I chose to seek intensive help not long after and it was a good decision. A very good, but difficult decision b/c there were no distractions and I had no other choice BUT to work on myself. It's still not easy, but it has become easier.

Yeah, I know that's not what you wanna hear and the longer that you're out, the harder it is to figure out what next to do academically. Still, I am not really sure how people 'deal' with it under the circumstances. So basically in a nutshell, you need help to make it through. Whatever that may be.

Welcome to forum.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
freshman year was my best, now I feel like I'm getting worse. And I go to a school where most girls are extremely hot and b*tchy and the ones who aren't hot are still b*tches.
I'll be okay except for the fact that I found out I have a couple 10-15 minute oral presentations... don't know what I'm going to do yet. I'm thinking about trying phenibut (instead of benzos so I will still be able to concentrate and say what I need to say).

·
Registered
312 Posts
Live at home if you can. Set realistic expectations, ie you will still most likely have social anxiety be awkward and alone but that is okay. Most people are more understanding in college than high school from my experience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After I met my roommate, I was up to my knees in anxiety about how to act around him. I must have came off as weird, since he moved out very quickly. But for the first half of the year I stayed in my room, venturing out for food/classes only.

I got sorta lucky, and had a few of the guys in my hall approach me and randomly start talking about things. (I was sort of impressed on how they could conjure seemingly limitless conversation topics, yet I could barely manage a '...Yea....Mmmhm'). But over time I kept forcing myself up to these guys and just standing and at least engaging a conversation. I left that year with a few friends that I never talked to again, but my best advice is to find some guys/girls in your hall who have empathy for those around them. It really helps.

·
Registered
88 Posts
This is my second year in college, and yes it can feel like the whole campus is staring at you at times..but it is different than highschool. Everyone pretty much is going their own ways, and I never hear other students taunting anyone ever or anything humiliating like that. But I do hate being called on :( I feel so childish to feel this way at 24, when I know no one is really caring what I say or answer..yet I feel so insecure. But since ive been in college my SA has gotten much better. I feel more natural to be out and about. I guess it gets better day by day. Yet still, there are those days when I feel really shy. But it's better than before. The only way to conquer a phobia is exposure.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey quietyounglady welcome. :hyper

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Welcome, QuietYoungLady! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts