Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I didn't get a chance to read everything, but I assume there is a fear with police.

Police and all people of the world have expectations and a motive. To understand what people want, gives you the ability to be confident with actions.
~~~~~~~~~
The police are anxious, they are more nervous than you are in confrontations. They don't know what to expect as enforcers, as different people retaliate in different ways. They cannot swing a punch, or pull out a knife - while you *can*.

They have a good reason to be anxious, so the best thing to do is to not be a threat. Cooperate, be polite, and things should go a lot better for you.

-------------

A cop pulled me over and gave me a ticket for making a lousy stop at a stop sign. It irritated me, but it helped.

I am now more cautious and aware, I make my stops properly (in fear of getting another ticket, lol). I'm safe, others are safe - the reason doesn't matter, all I know is their tactic works!

----------------

Cops aren't good at their jobs for one reason I am aware of;

I can't blame them fully, because that would be unfair, but because they are there to enforce the law - they don't do it enough until they need MONEY.

Cars can speed up, make crummy stops, talk on a cell phone, etc, until the quota must be met! Sure it's 'our' fault for being stupid and we should know better - but why let us get away with it only to punish us one day out of the month for it? What are they during the rest of the month? I'm sure there is a lot, but our police force down here is pretty massive for no apparent reason. I think it's just a successful business with lazy employees :p

Cops around = make people nervous = nervous/bad driving = more tickets.

·
Loveisloveisloveislove
2,785 Posts
I hate police, they make me anxious though not angry lol.

·
Banned
9,928 Posts
I had some bad run-ins with cops when I was young. They all seemed to think if you were out walking at night it meant you had been drinking. I had one guy stop me and search me.

I looked up the ACLU site for a guide to your rights when stopped by police:

YOUR RIGHTS
- You have the right to remain silent. If you wish to exercise that right, say so out loud.
- You have the right to refuse to consent to a search of yourself, your car or your home.
- If you are not under arrest, you have the right to calmly leave.
- You have the right to a lawyer if you are arrested. Ask for one immediately.
- Regardless of your immigration or citizenship status, you have constitutional rights.

YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES
- Do stay calm and be polite.
- Do not interfere with or obstruct the police.
- Do not lie or give false documents.
- Do prepare yourself and your family in case you are arrested.
- Do remember the details of the encounter.
- Do file a written complaint or call your local ACLU if you feel your rights have been violated.

IF YOU ARE STOPPED FOR QUESTIONING
Stay calm. Don't run. Don't argue, resist or obstruct the police, even if you are innocent or police are violating your rights. Keep your hands where police can see them.
Ask if you are free to leave. If the officer says yes, calmly and silently walk away. If you are under arrest, you have a right to know why.
You have the right to remain silent and cannot be punished for refusing to answer questions. If you wish to remain silent, tell the officer out loud. In some states, you must give your name if asked to identify yourself.
You do not have to consent to a search of yourself or your belongings, but police may "pat down" your clothing if they suspect a weapon. You should not physically resist, but you have the right to refuse consent for any further search. If you do consent, it can affect you later in court.

IF YOU ARE STOPPED IN YOUR CAR
Stop the car in a safe place as quickly as possible. Turn off the car, turn on the internal light, open the window part way and place your hands on the wheel.
Upon request, show police your driver's license, registration and proof of insurance.
If an officer or immigration agent asks to look inside your car, you can refuse to consent to the search. But if police believe your car contains evidence of a crime, your car can be searched without your consent.
Both drivers and passengers have the right to remain silent. If you are a passenger, you can ask if you are free to leave. If the officer says yes, sit silently or calmly leave. Even if the officer says no, you have the right to remain silent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yep, it sucks. The problem is usually there are often about 4 or 5 police officers on the scene, and chances are, at least one of them is going to be a bully, and the rest are not going to speak up against him.

Some policer officers just like the power they are given. They like to know that they are in charge, and there's nothing you can do about it. I'm not saying they are all like this, but a larger percentage than the general population from my personal experience. After all, who really wants to be a cop? People who like to be in charge... I certainly wouldn't want that job. And people who are too intelligent are sometimes rejected out of the fear that they will not follow orders. Or so I have heard (?)

Does your son have Aspergers? Many people with Aspergers are unwittingly discriminated against? Also, I am one of those people who have an extremely difficult time faking kindness or telling a lie. Is your son similar? To deal with the cops, fakeness is an essential, I don't care what anyone says - if they disagree, they are full of ****.

One time, I was essentially forced to take an ambulance after a minor accident (only my car suffered damage, I accidentally hit a median) when there was absolutely nothing wrong with me. I drink on occasion, I admit, but I never ever drink and drive. They thought I was underthe influence because of the way I talked ( I had some empty benadryl in my pocket that I didn't throw away because I am weird like that) I slur my speech often when under pressure as I have said. Instead of risking far more serious consequences and perhaps being manipulated myself, I simply took the ambulance. It was a ridiculous expense though and made me bitter to the core. Such a freaking waste of time. In the ER, I couldn't help but stare down the ****ing idiot officer. He was such an ***. I know, I know, say what you want. But people who are different are discriminated by against the police. It's a good thing I am not a minority, otherwise it would be worse.
Thanks for your reply. I don't think he has Aspergers. When he was young, I took him to a few different psychologists, but their diagnosis never really seemed to fit. One said it was extreme seperation anxiety, and we worked with him based on that assumption. Maybe it helped, but I still don't think they were exactly right. He did seem to have an easier time as he got older though. He's always the quiet person in the room, but if he has something to say, he's not afraid to say it, so he seems to be doing O.K. I know he still gets stressed sometimes, but the only issue right now seems to be the police.
I'm sorry that happened to you. When I was looking for connections between anxiety and police detaining people yesterday, I found an interesting study where they showed police videos of people who were actually guilty of a crime, and people who were innocent but just behaved outside the norm. The police couldn't distinguish between the two. That tells me they either need to rethink arresting based on non-verbal cues, or retrain the officers. Take care.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
**** the police. and I'm not a hypocrite for saying that. the truth is I wouldn't even call 911 if I were in trouble, because I wouldn't trust the cops to show up (they're not legally obligated to respond to a distress call, and they often don't...look it up if you don't believe it. you could be shot dead waiting for a cop to come save you). an armed robber was breaking into my two friends' apartment once and threatening to kill them, and so they called the cops explaining the situation...guess what? they never bothered to show. guess something like that isn't as important as eating donuts and giving people speeding tickets.

but I digress.

the ACLU guidelines are spot-on and everyone should be familiar with them. exercise your right to remain silent (talking more is always a bad thing...just results in more chances to incriminate yourself, and police are skilled at getting you to do that), don't consent to any searches, don't let them detain you without just cause...basically, don't let them push you around. keep your mouth shut. if it gets really heavy, demand a lawyer.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
It's best not to deal with them at all. They rarely protect or serve. When **** hits the fan you better be prepared to deal with it yourself. Cops will only show up afterwards and they have this attitude that you are ruining their day by asking them to do their jobs.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Yes, cops can be major *******s. I admit though, they almost have to be. It goes along with their job most the time because what they have to portray and deal with. Still, they do intimidate me a lot.

Don't mess with a cop. They got the power to really mess your life up.

·
Registered
336 Posts
it's funny how police are meant to serve and protect yet..... in reality there are a lot of people that just end up fearing them after "experiencing" them. I guess we are raised to believe in all these fairytale stories of noble people fighting the good fight and caring about the "greater good" yet reality couldn't be further from this if it tried. Perhaps it's a way to try and have future generations pick up these ideas/vibes and make a change for the better..

It's up to us to change the world and make it a .... oh F it ...we're screwed.

virus with shoes.
If you have nothing to hide then there is nothing to fear.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
if only this was true. Police have to fill a monthly work quoter, if they don't they're not been seen as doing their job. What if everyone in the world behaved for one month? "excuse me ma'am you appear to have a *boom* tail light out". xP
But seriously it's not unknown for police to just start swinging bats and fists at innocent people just sitting in a chair of a police station being processed after been picked up for..... nothing. Commonly related to some form of discrimination that the police get let off without even a slap on the wrist. It's even caught on tape... and nothing :/

·
Registered
336 Posts
if only this was true. Police have to fill a monthly work quoter, if they don't they're not been seen as doing their job. What if everyone in the world behaved for one month? "excuse me ma'am you appear to have a *boom* tail light out". xP
But seriously it's not unknown for police to just start swinging bats and fists at innocent people just sitting in a chair of a police station being processed after been picked up for..... nothing. Commonly related to some form of discrimination that the police get let off without even a slap on the wrist. It's even caught on tape... and nothing :/
Police having to meet a monthly quota is not true. And police swinging baseball bats at people? Why would a police officer carry around a baseball bat? That's just silly.

·
Registered
336 Posts
baton... intuition.
Incidents of police abusing their power are few and far between. People don't want to acknowledge the good things police officers do and that's why you only hear about the negative incidents. Besides its not like you can get the full story from a video all the time, sometimes you have to be there.

·
avast ye landlubbers
2,055 Posts
Wish that were true.

I've had a cop threaten to beat me bloody and take me to prison. My crime was being on the same block as someone that'd gotten pulled over for drunk driving. They also stopped me, forced a breathalyzer on me. When asked if I'd been drinking I said, no sir, just this bottle of water I have here.

And he was off. You mouthin' off to me boy? I can beat the **** out of you and take you to jail. how about that, you wanna go to jail?

Realizing this furious, red-faced, stupid cop could do whatever he wanted, and get away with it - because who would the judge believe, a police officer or some random high school kid? was a sobering moment. Now I can't trust any of them.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
depends on one's personal experience maybe. I know that the night my brother went off the deep end and holed himself up in my uncle's house with a gun and my mother was trapped with him, when I called them about the situation, the police were there within the barest of minutes and talked him down from the whole episode, got my mother out safely, and restrained my brother til an ambulance arrived.

needless to say, I am quite happy with how they handled it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Wish that were true.

I've had a cop threaten to beat me bloody and take me to prison. My crime was being on the same block as someone that'd gotten pulled over for drunk driving. They also stopped me, forced a breathalyzer on me. When asked if I'd been drinking I said, no sir, just this bottle of water I have here.

And he was off. You mouthin' off to me boy? I can beat the **** out of you and take you to jail. how about that, you wanna go to jail?

Realizing this furious, red-faced, stupid cop could do whatever he wanted, and get away with it - because who would the judge believe, a police officer or some random high school kid? was a sobering moment. Now I can't trust any of them.
Well he didn't take you to jail or beat you up right?

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
Well, I think the profession obviously probably attracts a large number of aggressive personality types.

I mean, think about it. If you're the calm, relaxed peaceful type who avoids confrontation if at all possible, are you going to even want to be a cop?

So, what kind of person really wants to be a cop?

1. The type who thinks there's so much injustice in the world, we need more cops. This type of person is pretty likely to be angry or bitter about some injustice they feel was visited upon them or someone they care about. Probably the last person you want walking around armed to the teeth with the authority to use lethal force.

2. The type who just plain likes to be in charge wherever they are and whatever they're doing. The job of being a police officer basically puts the individual who occupies it in absolute control of absolutely everyone other than their superiors. This is just asking for trouble.

Anyway, cops are unpredictable. They might be the nicest people you ever met or they might be the rudest, stupidest most hateful people you ever met. There's no one perfect way to behave around cops other than just obeying them and trying to respect them even if they're being jerks.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts