Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
lol, I am basing this on my own personal experience. I have had four run-ins with cops, none of them justified. Give me a break.
People don't listen, and they are full of justifications for authority figures. I think they believe that it's worth it to stamp on the personal space and liberties of a few small people. Maybe they have a relative that is a police officer, too. Once you have to deal with it, though, your perspective may change. I was specifically being targeted at one point and was seemingly set up by police. I wrongfully let them pat me down in front of neighbors. I don't know what they thought I was up to, but it was absolutely nothing. It was pretty darn obvious.

·
Banned
1,662 Posts
Everyone say's they hate cops but the only other alternative is we have criminals running the streets I know which i'd prefer.

·
banana enthusiast
7,057 Posts
I cringe when I hear people say, "I hate cops."

Police officers are not always perfect, there are ones who abuse their power and others that are not as ethical as they should be. But utlimately, they could save your life. I feel people who say they hate cops are basing that negative feeling on stereotypes or basing it off some negative experience they had. But society would be out of control with out them. If you hate them so much, how about not calling 911 if a crime is committed against you? In high school I heard a lot of teens say they hate cops just because cops would bust their underage drunken parties. But if those same teens had a crime committed against them, guess who they called to the rescue?
The police are our employees. We pay them. If they take our money and use it to bully us and trample all over our rights, they are not doing their job. They don't deserve thanks or love for performing jobs like protecting us when we are attacked by criminals, because that's what we're paying them to do. If they step out of line by bullying innocent people (which they do ALL the time - it's not just isolated incidents), they deserve all the hate they get because they're not doing the job we're paying them for. My taxes entitle me to their services when I call 911; they're not simply doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well, I didn't mean to turn this into a debate about whether all cops are "good" or "bad" but it was my fault for saying that "I can't stand them" What I meant was I have had some bad experiences with (and I know some people have much worse experiences), even though I know there are plenty of good cops out there who are just doing their job the best they can. Okay, I am trying to be very diplomatic here. Let's be peaceful. :)

What I meant was it's just very difficult for someone like myself to deal with the intimidation tactics used by cops when they try and extract information or induce a confession. When I have shown subtle signs of anger at being laughed at, lied to, accused of doing drugs because I slur my speech (this is the way I talk when I am nervous and intimidated), accused of being disoriented because I just got in a minor accident (why the hell wouldn't I be, I was shook up), or forced to lie so that I will be let off the hook (I had to say, like a good little boy, "yes, it was very dangerous of me to jaywalk after having a couple drinks", I wanted to vomit). One time I was coerced into taking an ambulance when there was absolutely nothing wrong with me. It probably sounds like I am trolling here, but I am not.

What I am talking about is the need to suck up to cops to get let off the hook How do you cope with this? Let's try to keep peaceful. I am simply describing my experiences, not trying to make blanket accusations. I hope this is diplomatic enough, I'm trying my hardest.

Also, what are my rights?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
100% agreed. These people who whine about cops obviously need their heads checked. If you don't do stupid sh*t, you won't have to deal with them.
This is a judgemental, unfounded, ad hominem attack (I can play this game too)

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I hate the police in general, because most of them seem to be abusive *******s who are in it more for the power, rather than protecting citizens. And lately they seem to be getting a little carried away when it comes to the use of tasers.

·
Banned
8,760 Posts
100% agreed. These people who whine about cops obviously need their heads checked. If you don't do stupid sh*t, you won't have to deal with them.
This is total b***s***.

That's not the way it works. Maybe in a perfect world. Not in the one I live in.

I've had to deal with them several times, when there was no cause, no justification. They came into my home, and had no reason to be there. I actually assaulted one of them.

·
Banned
8,760 Posts
Yeah, I did. I clocked one of them, pretty good. It was amazing. He deserved it. I don't regret it. At all.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Also, what are my rights?
Your rights?

Well if you're wealthy, tell them any questions they have can be directed at your lawyer and you've got nothing else to say. Then call your lawyer.

But if you're like the rest of us you have the right to do what you're told and answer any and all questions and don't give them any attitude or they'll make you pay.

Seriously though if you've done nothing wrong just be calm and civil and you will most likely leave unmolested.

·
thoughts are just thought
1,263 Posts
I don't think police are inherently bad or evil, but it is a job that is attractive to people who want to have a power trip.

Sure they keep the criminals off the street (sometimes, in my area there is a rapist who has attacked several dozen women over the past few months and the cops haven't stopped him yet), that does not give them the right to mistreat and disrespect law abiding citizens.

·
Banned
12,909 Posts
FTP!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found this thread while doing a search to see if there was a connection between social anxiety and being detained by the police. My son has an undiagnosed disorder that was very pronounced when he was young, but he seems to have 'aged' out of it to some extent. There are still some things he does though-like if directly approached by an authority figure, he will tense up, look away, sometimes grit his teeth, and speak in a monotone. With other people, he is much more relaxed, but apparently he triggers the police suspicions, because he has been stopped and handcuffed ('for his own protection" they tell me) for things like setting his coke can down on a park bench while it's obvious he's still drinking it (they accused him of littering) and walking next to a hiking trail instead of directly on it (they called it trespassing). When these things happened, he was 14, but now that he is driving, they stop him for stuff like not using his blinker to turn (when he swears he did) or 'matching the description of someone who fled a disturbance'. I checked, and there had been no disturbance. He's a smart, kind, empathetic kid, and it breaks my heart. I've talked to the police chief, but he just made lame excuses. I think he must hit all their 'non-verbal' cues that amount to suspicious behavior, but I'm not sure what to do about it.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I found this thread while doing a search to see if there was a connection between social anxiety and being detained by the police. My son has an undiagnosed disorder that was very pronounced when he was young, but he seems to have 'aged' out of it to some extent. There are still some things he does though-like if directly approached by an authority figure, he will tense up, look away, sometimes grit his teeth, and speak in a monotone. With other people, he is much more relaxed, but apparently he triggers the police suspicions, because he has been stopped and handcuffed ('for his own protection" they tell me) for things like setting his coke can down on a park bench while it's obvious he's still drinking it (they accused him of littering) and walking next to a hiking trail instead of directly on it (they called it trespassing). When these things happened, he was 14, but now that he is driving, they stop him for stuff like not using his blinker to turn (when he swears he did) or 'matching the description of someone who fled a disturbance'. I checked, and there had been no disturbance. He's a smart, kind, empathetic kid, and it breaks my heart. I've talked to the police chief, but he just made lame excuses. I think he must hit all their 'non-verbal' cues that amount to suspicious behavior, but I'm not sure what to do about it.
Yep, it sucks. The problem is usually there are often about 4 or 5 police officers on the scene, and chances are, at least one of them is going to be a bully, and the rest are not going to speak up against him.

Some policer officers just like the power they are given. They like to know that they are in charge, and there's nothing you can do about it. I'm not saying they are all like this, but a larger percentage than the general population from my personal experience. After all, who really wants to be a cop? People who like to be in charge... I certainly wouldn't want that job. And people who are too intelligent are sometimes rejected out of the fear that they will not follow orders. Or so I have heard (?)

Does your son have Aspergers? Many people with Aspergers are unwittingly discriminated against? Also, I am one of those people who have an extremely difficult time faking kindness or telling a lie. Is your son similar? To deal with the cops, fakeness is an essential, I don't care what anyone says - if they disagree, they are full of ****.

One time, I was essentially forced to take an ambulance after a minor accident (only my car suffered damage, I accidentally hit a median) when there was absolutely nothing wrong with me. I drink on occasion, I admit, but I never ever drink and drive. They thought I was underthe influence because of the way I talked ( I had some empty benadryl in my pocket that I didn't throw away because I am weird like that) I slur my speech often when under pressure as I have said. Instead of risking far more serious consequences and perhaps being manipulated myself, I simply took the ambulance. It was a ridiculous expense though and made me bitter to the core. Such a freaking waste of time. In the ER, I couldn't help but stare down the ****ing idiot officer. He was such an ***. I know, I know, say what you want. But people who are different are discriminated by against the police. It's a good thing I am not a minority, otherwise it would be worse.

21 - 40 of 93 Posts