Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to attract the attention of police because I don't behave like a normal person and I have trouble feigning kindness. When I am being bullied by a police officer, it takes everything in my power not to cuss them out.

Can anyone relate? I know police officers are just doing what they are told, but I can't stand them.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
You have to change that attitude. You can hate them, but they are people who have to do their jobs. It's part of the authority stuff that SAers have an issue with.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand what you are saying millennium, but when police officers accuse me of doing cocaine simply because I am clenching my teeth (a nervous tic) it makes me furious.

I do know that I have to feign kindness, but it is simply not easy for me. I know they are doing their job and they have a difficult job, but that doesn't change the fact that they often act like bullies. This is simply what they are trained to do.

I feel like people are often let off the police who don't deserve it (because they are smooth talkers) and people are harassed by police who don't deserve it (because they are not smooth talkers). This makes me angry. :um

·
Its dawn here
6,082 Posts
I HATE POLICEMAN..
When I was a child ,i saw a policeman receiving bribe..this incident has covered my mind..its 11 years from that..but I still feel hatred even dnt like to see them

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'm pretty good at avoiding cops. Maybe only 2 minor traffic violation tickets. They do make me nervous though in general.

I would never cuss out a cop. I'm not going to give them a reason to taze my ***, and bring out the billy clubs. The key to avoid a cop's wrath is to just hold your tongue.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I cringe when I hear people say, "I hate cops."

Police officers are not always perfect, there are ones who abuse their power and others that are not as ethical as they should be. But utlimately, they could save your life. I feel people who say they hate cops are basing that negative feeling on stereotypes or basing it off some negative experience they had. But society would be out of control with out them. If you hate them so much, how about not calling 911 if a crime is committed against you? In high school I heard a lot of teens say they hate cops just because cops would bust their underage drunken parties. But if those same teens had a crime committed against them, guess who they called to the rescue?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol, I am basing this on my own personal experience. I have had four run-ins with cops, none of them justified. Give me a break.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
it's funny how police are meant to serve and protect yet..... in reality there are a lot of people that just end up fearing them after "experiencing" them. I guess we are raised to believe in all these fairytale stories of noble people fighting the good fight and caring about the "greater good" yet reality couldn't be further from this if it tried. Perhaps it's a way to try and have future generations pick up these ideas/vibes and make a change for the better..

It's up to us to change the world and make it a .... oh F it ...we're screwed.

virus with shoes.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Dealing with anyone with authority is one of my biggest fears because they can force me to talk. And if i show any sign of difficulty talking to police they are going to assume im hiding something. Its the main reason I will never drive. And its not unjustified, people/cops have aproached me just because i seem suspicious.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Not particulary fond of cops either. I've met a few good ones but most were arrogant pricks. I've mostly treated them passively as giving them attitude just makes things worse, although one time I had a go at one that spoke to me like a pos and falsely accused me of lying.

You should never tense up or show fear though as it sets their alarm bells off.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
100% agreed. These people who whine about cops obviously need their heads checked. If you don't do stupid sh*t, you won't have to deal with them.
this one time someone I knew was dropping her partner off at work in the morning. It was in the not-as-nice-as-the-nice-part of the city and as she stopped to let her partner out some cops behind her pulled her over. They found a tiny pocket knife keyring attachment on her car keys and considered it a concealed weapon and took her to the cop station then court and gave her a run around no doubt just to be seen doing their job. She couldn't afford the costs or hassle of these jerks "work" and got shafted.

Sure not everyone gets screwed by dumb police but when you experience or know someone that has experienced some dumbshlt that a cop has done then you remember. It's not just "bad" people that are targeted to fill a quota.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Interesting. Are you able to expand on the authority stuff issue? Why that is, how it manifests itself, what can be done about it etc. Is part of being a control freak?
It is more fear turned into resentment. The feeling of powerlessness in their presence and "are they out to get me; do I have a warrant?" kind of stuff.

There is also a feeling that they are corrupt sometimes, too.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I cringe when I hear people say, "I hate cops."

Police officers are not always perfect, there are ones who abuse their power and others that are not as ethical as they should be. But utlimately, they could save your life. I feel people who say they hate cops are basing that negative feeling on stereotypes or basing it off some negative experience they had. But society would be out of control with out them. If you hate them so much, how about not calling 911 if a crime is committed against you? In high school I heard a lot of teens say they hate cops just because cops would bust their underage drunken parties. But if those same teens had a crime committed against them, guess who they called to the rescue?
Nice post, couldn't have put it better myself.

Not all cops are bad, I know some cops that are great people and do their job the way it is supposed to be done. You never hear about the good ones, unless they do something extraordinarily heroic. However, I'll be the first to admit that their are a fair amount of cops that are drunk on power. But that is no reason to hate cops in general.

·
Banned
165 Posts
10 rules for dealing with police!
Best video I've seen concerning your civil rights!
(Parts 1-4)

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
lol. yeah, keep believing that...
Oh yeah, I will keep believing it. I've believed it for 23 years. And I've never had any trouble with the police. So like the other poster said, if you think cops are corrupt, don't call them when you have an emergency situation. Call somebody who you trust instead.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I understand what you are saying millennium, but when police officers accuse me of doing cocaine simply because I am clenching my teeth (a nervous tic) it makes me furious.

I do know that I have to feign kindness, but it is simply not easy for me. I know they are doing their job and they have a difficult job, but that doesn't change the fact that they often act like bullies. This is simply what they are trained to do.

I feel like people are often let off the police who don't deserve it (because they are smooth talkers) and people are harassed by police who don't deserve it (because they are not smooth talkers). This makes me angry. :um
I had issues with local police years ago. They seem to be leaving me alone, although I do get the occasional slow cruise by. You know, everyone is suspicious, small town with no crime, easy targets, etc.

You can't do anything about it. Just keep walking, keep your head up, obey the petty laws (in my case, keeping my bike lights on, not going through stop signs when there are no cars around whatsoever), don't turn your head when a car passes. They see anything as suspicious. Of course, if they want to search you, refuse. You don't have to consent to it. I'll wait all night for them to let me go. No search you you.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts