Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im completely new to this site, yet seems quite oriented toward socialized and generalized anxiety, but just want someone to tell me their experiences with panic attacks and their approach on it, anything would be quite helpful

·
Registered
249 Posts
i used to have pretty bad panic attacks... the first thing you need to do to deal is figure out what triggers them. once you know that, you need to come up with a way to calm yourself when you encounter a trigger. for me, my triggers were physical symptoms... if my heart rate went up or if i had heart burn, for example, i would think that i was having a heart attack. and then i would start to feel lightheaded, etc, and cue panic attack. it was hard, but i finally defeated them just repeating to myself over and over that i was fine and that the panic was not real... walking helped too, to disipate some of the nervous energy. also if i felt really out of control i would call a friend and ask them to distract me... and talking to them for awhile helped too.

i think the most important thing is to be persistent and to NOT avoid your triggers... that just builds up the anxiety around them and makes things worse. try to expose yourself to triggers in small doses and remind yourself that you are in control... and don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it.

good luck :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts