Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time starting a thread on this forum, and I wasn't exactly sure where to put this, so I apologize in advance if this isn't the proper place or if there is already an active thread for this. :)

Anyways, my question is, how do you deal with negative people? People that don't add positivity into your life, and possibly make your SA even worse because of that?

I know typically the best thing to do is avoid them, but this isn't easy or even possible sometimes if this person (or people) is a family member, somebody you live with, etc. How do you deal with a negative person if you cannot completely avoid them?

I'm only 17 and still in high school, so I live with my parents. My father is an extremely negative person; nothing can ever be good even if there's nothing wrong. Somebody has to be doing something wrong or something can't be going well. I believe he's also a narcissist (at least somewhat) because he puts people down (including me) to boost his ego. I believe this is where my SA comes from, because he never tried to help build confidence in me, he did the opposite. And my lack of confidence is why I have SA.

Over the past couple of years I've tried to just ignore him; I'll play music so I don't have to hear him, go in a different room, anything to avoid his negative vibes. But over the past few months this has become increasingly ineffective; things creep through that kill my attempts to stay positive and build myself up.

So, if you're in a similar situation, what do you do to cope with the negative person/people?

Sorry if that got a little bloggy...

·
Registered
208 Posts
If this weren't your father and you weren't 17 I'd say let them know politely that you are making an effort in your life to be more positive and that you are not judging them but it would help your effort to be around them less.

However- I can just hear my own father if I had told him that when I was a teenager - or now even. At least now I'm not afraid of him but I still don't think it's worth my energy to tell him - we just don't have a lot of contact.

You may just have to tough it out a little longer until you can get out from under his roof. Tell yourself he is there to help you learn the importance of being positive. We are all here to help each other learn something and he is just doing a great job with his lesson to teach. Breathe!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If this weren't your father and you weren't 17 I'd say let them know politely that you are making an effort in your life to be more positive and that you are not judging them but it would help your effort to be around them less.

However- I can just hear my own father if I had told him that when I was a teenager - or now even. At least now I'm not afraid of him but I still don't think it's worth my energy to tell him - we just don't have a lot of contact.

You may just have to tough it out a little longer until you can get out from under his roof. Tell yourself he is there to help you learn the importance of being positive. We are all here to help each other learn something and he is just doing a great job with his lesson to teach. Breathe!
Yeah, that wouldn't go well. I had confronted him in the past with something and it was horrible...he's not approachable.

I completely agree with what you said. There are certain people in your life, both good and bad, that can teach you something, and I think I've already learned a lot of lessons from this experience.
Thanks. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts