Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm a first time poster here. I don't normally use forums as I don't handle them very well.

I have severe OCD, which results in quite bad SAD. I was out of work due to it for 6 years, but now work as a freelance computer programmer. I often find myself making websites.

In a recent job I had, the client was...not very nice. The job was 8 weeks over estimate (the designer delayed by 5 weeks, and myself by 3). Most of this delay was due to the client making constant changes to the design and the functionality of the site during the construction. The client was very hostile about the delay, despite the fact that I never charged a penny extra for it. In an email to him I tried to point out that the delay was mostly his fault due to the constant changes, he didn't like this very much and phoned me up calling me many colourful names and threatened to kill me.

Now, I just about managed to handle that, and hold it together. I know he is seeking out another developer now to help him add to the site, and the other developer said that the website was "a mess". I know in this industry, it's very common for developers to put down other developers work in order to cement their own work. I personally was quite happy with my work on this website, and (before hearing this) had already asked another developers opinion who thought it was really well made. Since hearing this criticism though, I've been really anxious. I've started to think that maybe I can't do it, and I should just go back to being unemployed. I can't handle people criticising me, or my work, and it seems to cause far more problems than it helps.

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this sort of situation? I'm seeing my psychologist on Thursday, which will undoubtedly help, but that's still 6 days of high anxiety away :|

·
자신을 사랑 해
1,420 Posts
You already had a second opinion telling you it was good. I would trust that more than the other developer calling it a mess. I'm sure you did great. The whole thing sounds anxiety provoking and maybe focusing so much on the criticism is easier than dealing with the whole mess of a situation, which was not your fault.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well like you said, it's pretty common for developers to put down other peoples work so without having any concrete examples of why the guy didn't like it you might as well assume that the guy was just talking out of his ***.

Easier said than done I'm sure, but if the guy you were working for really didn't like your work he probably would have just fired you half way through instead of letting you keep doing something that he didn't like.

·
SAS Member
1,197 Posts
If you're satisfied with your work, then you're satisfied with your work. It sounds like the only one in your story that can't handle criticism (or their temper) well is your client. You did the best you could and that's really all you can ask of yourself. And besides, you also received positive comments for your work from others; let's not ignore that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts